Replacing Motor Mounts

01KJRPath

I have an 01 that I am getting clucking noises when accelerating. I believe it might be that a motor mount has failed. No noise from car over large bumps or stopping. Anyone have a write-up, tip, or advice for replacing them.

TIA

First, check that the motor mount has actually failed by opening the hood, then while seated in the driver's seat, firmly apply the brake, shift into 1st gear and watch for extreme engine movement while you press the gas pedal. Do the same in reverse. If you see the engine move up or down more than 3/4" then you have a failed motor mount. If the engine doesn't seem to move too much, the clunk may be caused by something else.

If it is indeed a motor mount, you will need to remove the front differential to access them.

First, check that the motor mount has actually failed by opening the hood, then while seated in the driver's seat, firmly apply the brake, shift into 1st gear and watch for extreme engine movement while you press the gas pedal. Do the same in reverse. If you see the engine move up or down more than 3/4" then you have a failed motor mount. If the engine doesn't seem to move too much, the clunk may be caused by something else.

If it is indeed a motor mount, you will need to remove the front differential to access them.

Motor moves more than 3/4" when in reverse. You can feel the the clunk when the car shifts. I was planing to replace all the mounts, and was hoping for a nice easy R&R. Removing the diff is a bit of a pain, but more time consuming than difficult.

Thanks

Edited by 01KJRPath

Maybe have some fun and fabricate strut mount to hold the engine....

You could probably build something off of a DIY crossmember link to the transmission and hold everything pretty solid

Just ideas...

Maybe have some fun and fabricate strut mount to hold the engine....

You could probably build something off of a DIY crossmember link to the transmission and hold everything pretty solid

Just ideas...

Not building a racecar here. Just want to keep the motor in the car. :)