Toyota solid axle.

Of course after putting in my ifs suspension lift a friend of mine wants to sell me his frame fu**ed 82' Yota. I'd like to build it into a trailer queen but if I could I wouldnt mind throwing the front axle into my pathy. To do this I was going to do a tube swap so the pumpkin is on the proper side. Anyone heard of or seen this done?

I have done it. It is not to hard. You will want to make a jig to hold front axle.Trust me on this. I was in a hurry and did not take enough time to set up caster angles properly and it is alot of work to fix it.

You have to cut the front part of the axle housing off.(where the 3 rd member would fit in). I used a 8" x1/4 pipe cap. Yes a 8" pipe cap. Then you will need to cut axle tube toward knuckle with large pipe cutter. Do not cut all the way through pipe.I then used a large bar to turn knuckle's 180 degree's. This is where your caster angle will get screwed up if you do not take your time. If your caster angle is not right . THE TRUCK WILL NOT! Drive down the road very well. Once your pipe cap is installed you will need to drill out one top and one bottom hole in the 3rd member larger. After that the 3rd member will slide right in. I went with trail gear high steer arms and there tie rod,drag link set up. They use a fj 80 tie rod end. I found that you can use the FJ 80 tie rod end in the nissan steering arm , but it has to be put in upside down(from top). It has worked well for me I have not had any problems. FYI Sky manufacture makes the shortest steering arms . You do not need to use Cal Mini SAS kit.You can use one for toyota.I can tell you more about that if your interested. I will dig out pic's if you would like to see it. I can probably post Sunday or Monday. I am not sure if you can see it very well on you tube. Hope that help's

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-MeBodpq0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have done it. It is not to hard. You will want to make a jig to hold front axle.Trust me on this. I was in a hurry and did not take enough time to set up caster angles properly and it is alot of work to fix it.

You have to cut the front part of the axle housing off.(where the 3 rd member would fit in). I used a 8" x1/4 pipe cap. Yes a 8" pipe cap. Then you will need to cut axle tube toward knuckle with large pipe cutter. Do not cut all the way through pipe.I then used a large bar to turn knuckle's 180 degree's. This is where your caster angle will get screwed up if you do not take your time. If your caster angle is not right . THE TRUCK WILL NOT! Drive down the road very well. Once your pipe cap is installed you will need to drill out one top and one bottom hole in the 3rd member larger. After that the 3rd member will slide right in. I went with trail gear high steer arms and there tie rod,drag link set up. They use a fj 80 tie rod end. I found that you can use the FJ 80 tie rod end in the nissan steering arm , but it has to be put in upside down(from top). It has worked well for me I have not had any problems. FYI Sky manufacture makes the shortest steering arms . You do not need to use Cal Mini SAS kit.You can use one for toyota.I can tell you more about that if your interested. I will dig out pic's if you would like to see it. I can probably post Sunday or Monday. I am not sure if you can see it very well on you tube. Hope that help's

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-MeBodpq0

Awesome!! I just had the wrecker bring this thing to my house (and put it beside my other pathy) the wife's not impressed hahahhaha. Thanks though Helo, I'll definitely be bugging you in the near future.

id re-frame the toyota honestly, I like those early pickups. Do the round headlight swap, paint it up in a sweet dated factory stripe package and have a cool little buggy to put around in while taking the pathfinder under the knife!

Sorry, I ain't helpful :lol:

• 1 month later...

id re-frame the toyota honestly, I like those early pickups. Do the round headlight swap, paint it up in a sweet dated factory stripe package and have a cool little buggy to put around in while taking the pathfinder under the knife!

Sorry, I ain't helpful :lol:

Do you have any pics of the pathy after the swap. I have a toyota solid axle in my shop I was thinking about putting it in my pathy. Just wanted to see what the out come would be like before I cut into it.

DSCN1593.jpg

Here is another one of steering. It is a hysteer kit from all pro or trail gear. I can not remember which one now I would have to go through receipts. They are all basically the same. I think trailgear was a 1/2 shorter arms. Sky manufacturer makes shortest ones.Although they are always back ordered. The steering links are fj80 and I was able to install in top of pathfinder steering arm with no modification. It works great.

The bumper is really just part of the exo cage that I still have not quite finished.

DSCN1586.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm getting my yota axle done by a friend on mine. JJ Monbronc on Facebook. Can you give him all the details on jigs and what needs to be done to flip the axle please. I've had the axle sitting in my garage for a few years.

I'm getting my yota axle done by a friend on mine. JJ Monbronc on Facebook. Can you give him all the details on jigs and what needs to be done to flip the axle please. I've had the axle sitting in my garage for a few years.