Badland Winches from Harbor freight

stalker

^ Yep, IIRC. We have a winch discussion thread somewhere where in I believe the same was said. I personally got a Smittybilt XJ-8 from 4 wheel parts for $250 or $300, on sale of course. For that price, if it saves my butt once, it paid for it's self!!

B

^ Yep, IIRC. We have a winch discussion thread somewhere where in I believe the same was said. I personally got a Smittybilt XJ-8 from 4 wheel parts for $250 or $300, on sale of course. For that price, if it saves my butt once, it paid for it's self!!

B

BINGO!

B

I have the smittybuilt XRC8 too! And it's paid for itself already.

6a8542c6.jpg

I've used it for doing other work too not just saving my butt!

I had heard of some of the older HF winches catching fire but that was probably because loose connection that the owner didn't inspect often enough. If they are from smittybuilt now they should be good. Still from china but probably a better quality.

China builds whatever they are asked for. If you want cheap crap they will give you cheap crap, but they can build good quality too.

James

I was actually at HF yesterday, only because it was down the street from the Hobby Shop I went to... I was eyeballing that same winch pretty hard but I have learned, and I question EVERYTHING sold at HF. Hearing that it is made by Smittybuilt makes me feel a bit better about it and may have to venture back there one day soon.

well i decided to stick with Warn...i found a VR10,000 for 549 with a $50 rebate...i would just hate to be "that guy" hung up on the trail with a broken/faulty winch while others are waiting for me to figure it out...i am not saying the Badland is a bad winch...its just to new for any good feedback, but for the price i will probably snag one for my car trailer

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I have ran one of the first gen HF 8k winches, and it saved me multiple times... it is now on a full size Chevy and still truckin right along. I did have some issues out of (either a 9 or 9500 K) HF winch, but when they swapped it out no more problems.

Sticky solenoids...

IMHO the next winch I buy will be from HF, unless I can find another 8274... lol yea right.

I read that and my first thought after reading, BEFORE reading the comments was, "WHAT? 90 points to WARN for labeling and remote? Talk about taking care of advertisers." I'd also like to point out the products MSRP was not posted for these tests. WARN would have got some low scores in that department. WARN makes good quality stuff, that goes without saying, but I'm with the people who commented on that site.

That article was very biased. Crazy. I have owned a few WARN winches, but I traded or bought them CHEAP. I couldn't afford one NEW.

As for the "Harbor Freight failed prior to test" sorry man doesn't compute. If it REALLY did, all they would have had to do is check the connections, (mine had loose solenoid nuts.) or at worst return it for a new one.

Bull crap like that makes me hate the world even more...lol

• 1 year later...