33x10.5x15 - 34x10.5x15 Tire recommendation..? Input please!

Nefarious

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all I'm looking to upgrade to some real meats for my rig!! I am looking for 33-34 inch tall with a 10.5 inch wide tire preferably. I have 15 inch rims... I need a tire that I can drive all year that's not super aggressive so I can drive it on the road and get decent mileage out of them, they also must be good in ice and snow. Not just okay but GOOD in ice and snow. I also want them to be good in the mud and on trails as well. No hardcore sidewall eating rock crawling but just mud pits and trails as that's what is around here. This is not a rock crawler, it's a winter/summer/camping/expedition rig.

I have seen the goodyear duratrac. they look ideal for what I'm looking for but they only come in a 31x10.5 and 33x12.5 as far as I can tell.. I am thinking 12.5 wide would be a little much for the icy roads that frequent my area in the winter... Are there any other tires that are similar to this style?? Best of all worlds it seems?

Thanks for the input!!

duratrac1.jpg

You will hear a lot of bashing goodyear, and the wrangler name, these are not the stock AT/S jeeps and f150s come with.. These are a far more capable tire than the utility companies E350 is wearing. I Have these on my F150, and on my pathfinder. I was a BFG AT KO Man until I found these. Far better in the snow, ice and mud. BFG's fill up way too easy in snow and mud. BFG's are pretty good at nothing. Duratracs are good at everything. The only feather in the BFG AT KO hat i will give them is the 20k kms more they wear. I got 80k kms out of my duratracs on my F150.. not sure how they will go on the R50... only had em on for about 15k kms.

If you don't have a lift on your truck, the 12.5s will rub. 32x11.5s rub without a lift.

LIES! i have a 32x11.50's on my stock height. 208k miles suspension on legos. :D lol.

that thing looks so beast!!!! me next... :)

Nice, your wheels are 10" wide it looks like?

I read most of the reviews on Tirerack.com for the Goodyear and the BFG A/T, both tires get mostly good reviews, I guess the Goodyear is a newer model as the BFG has 2107 reviews and the Goodyear has 276. I limited the reviews I read to smaller trucks (Nissan,Toyota & Jeeps), a lot of the reviews from full size truck owners generally are not very positive as they tend to put a tire not designed for a heavy truck on a heavy truck than complain about it.

I like how your Goodyears look on your truck but don't know if I personally could run Goodyears over the BFG's, I haven't had much luck with them. Back when I used to instal tires at an off-road shop we mostly sold BFG's and our customers (including myself, my wife and friends) all had good experiences with them.

Will be waiting to see what you think of the Goodyears after you put some miles on them, keep us updated.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Will do man. these tires so far are the best all around tire that me or any of my friends have ridden with all our trucks combined. they went through the local mud hole in a spot with my wd21 with the 33x12.5 duratracs with an OPEN diff, that a r50 with bfg all terrain 31x10.5 with a LSD got stuck in over and over and had to take an alternate route. the difference was not only there but HUGE. while his got stuck repeatedly, mine just crawled through without even so much as slipping. and i barely had to rev it to make it up the hill after. these things GRIP. its a deep rutted mud hole with lots of big roots throughout and a slippery hill at the end of it with a few large ruts right before the incline. kind of tricky spot.

the ride on the road is also FAR better than the stock size yoko geolanders (old style) that i had on before. very little highway noise. my mileage is actually quite good (but i also just did a vg33 swap and headers/exhaust/intake so that could have something to do with it)

they are also extremely good in the rain. we get a LOT of rain where i live and very large puddles gather on the highway sometimes spanning the entire 2 lane section for a good 20 or 30 feet. even up to 4 inches of water in bad spots. extreme hydroplane risk. they take it like a champion i can cruise through large puddles at 100 no problem. they never feel sketchy around corners or in bad weather.

now i will just have to see what kind of mileage i get out of them. going to replace the front end parts and get an alignment to make sure they last as logn as possible.

Edited by Nefarious

also will say it went through the mud pit area with ease compared to a 91 toyota pickup with a welded rear and 31" bfg ats.

oh and yes they are 15x10 steel rims that I powdercoated at work.

Edited by Nefarious

Thought they looked like 10's, I had 15 x 10's on my 87 hardbody with 33's, I like how the tires look on the 10's. I'll have to consider the Goodyears when I finally can afford tires, I don't want to get new 31's but would rather lift the truck and do 33's. Will be checking up on how your tires are treating you. Thanks

• Like 1