A little maintenance sometimes forgotten

BowTied

Changed the oil, put the winter tires on and serviced the front calipers on the pathfinder. While doing this I noticed the pocket at the rear of the fender/cowl area on both sides were full of leaves. I often vacuum these out but it parks under a tree and this area gets a lot of crap. Upon vacuuming it out I noticed it was full of mud! :thumbsdown: Here is what I did to deal with that. This is not rocket science of course but I thought this might help someone who hasn't done it before.

A length of stiff coat hanger or similar

long flat blade screw driver

trouble light*

shop vac with crevice tool

Garden hose/nozzle

* Please play safe and use a battery powered light or flashlight or at the very least if you must you a 120V trouble light keep it in a GFIC outlet/keep the cord out of the water.

th_GoinIn.jpg

After getting all the leaves out I found the crevice tool was too big to fit all the way down into the fender pocket area. (My tool was too big :rolleyes: ) This is where there screw driver came into to dig the crud up and flick it toward the shop vac.

After that was done I used the garden hose with the nozzle set to "jet" to flush it out. The water wasn't draining very well so I got the coat hanger in there. Note the scratches. :blush02:

th_Closer.jpg

I flushed it again. Better but still slow. So I got underneath to find the root of the problem.

under.jpg

The red arrow is toward the front of the truck for reference. The issue at hand is the blue arrow. That plastic thingy I think acts like a shield/drain gutter allowing water from the cowl to drain out of the fender bottom and avoid road crap from getting in there. This is where the leaves and mud hang out and muck things up. Coat hanger this area and should get the rest of the crap out. Reflush from above. When I started I could fill and flood the pocket easily. With the clean out done the pocket drains fast enough I cannot fill it at all. That's how you know yer done. If you can see a water level or that the pocket is filling you are not done.

I then sprayed the pocket with some fluid film until I can properly undercoat. Hope that this helps someone. :)

As far as I know they should all (all R50's) have them behind the glove box. Check again! If not, you can always install one and Nissan even tells you how.

Edited by Tungsten

I did check when I had to replace the climate control module - the plastic perforations in the HVAC plenum are there, never been removed. What is thought to be standard equipment may vary by country?

Have not heard of that being an issue. How would the filter help protect the evap? I'm not keen on getting one.

The filter stops garbage from traveling through the evaporator core. That's why they are placed BEFORE the evaporator core and on some cars before the blower motor.

Something fell in there and punctured a hole in it. My A/C was leaking from the evaporator for that reason.

40805_415868374074_612879074_4678302_7027706_n.jpg

Edited by Tungsten

LOL I posted not seeing your response. Ya, as I said I know where the filter goes, just never thought about the air flow direction.

I wouldn't rely on the filter to protect my evap, but i guess every little bit helps.

LOL I posted not seeing your response. Ya, as I said I know where the filter goes, just never thought about the air flow direction.

I wouldn't rely on the filter to protect my evap, but i guess every little bit helps.

The filters are actually pretty tough. It's completely up to you but it's worth installing one in my opinion.

Edited by Tungsten