Another Pathy with strut rot

pathfounder

R50s are unibody, they don't have a frame in the traditional sense, only a subframe. The frame is not rotting, the pictures and rust issue are in the driver's side wheel well. The passenger side is also checked/inspected.

hey Town, thanks for clearing that up. You're the best at explaining things properly.

I just thought it was a frame because it looks almost identical to my truck. When I look through the wheel-well, I see the strut, the strut bracket, the frame, and the brake line. I thought only passenger cars and things of that nature were unibody and anything else had frame rails I guess where I heard this was in context to older vehicles.

I really liked some R50s I've seen. I thought about getting one 5 years in the future, but it seems this is a much larger problem than anyone realizes. This reminds me of the chevy vega problem. Can't this be prevented by religious cleaning and maintenance?

I feel bad because this is just another blow for Nissan. I know they are trying (well maybe not so much with the newest Pathys), but this is just another strike against them.

Anyway, OP, do you have any before and after pics?

Read the official recall TSB to see the repair levels. Yours doesn't look too awful compared to some photos I've seen, I think Nissan would repair that. Look at the TSB to see for yourself.

hey Town, thanks for clearing that up. You're the best at explaining things properly.

I just thought it was a frame because it looks almost identical to my truck. When I look through the wheel-well, I see the strut, the strut bracket, the frame, and the brake line. I thought only passenger cars and things of that nature were unibody and anything else had frame rails I guess where I heard this was in context to older vehicles.

I really liked some R50s I've seen. I thought about getting one 5 years in the future, but it seems this is a much larger problem than anyone realizes. This reminds me of the chevy vega problem. Can't this be prevented by religious cleaning and maintenance?

I feel bad because this is just another blow for Nissan. I know they are trying (well maybe not so much with the newest Pathys), but this is just another strike against them.

Anyway, OP, do you have any before and after pics?

I don't know all that much about rust prevention since anything but surface rust is pretty much unheard of on Floridian vehicles - mine has no rust at all. If one kept up with undercoating and washing salt from the underbody well, this would probably be a nonissue (but don't quote me on that one).

What you'll do is take it in, and wait a while for them to fix it, and you'll get it back. Ive heard of waiting periods from weeks to months.

Its a real shame to see that much rust under your pathy. I thought mine was bad...

good luck

It's actually only concentrated in that area and I have one rocker to repair. But with 230K on it, we're not putting much money into it as it will soon become a dedicated bush truck like the 97.

Mine was about half as bad as Daddy Rim's pics there.

They let us take it home while they waited for the plate and glue etc to come in, which was delayed due to Christmas. Then, I brought it in at 8AM yesterday and brought it home 4pm same day. I drove it about 300km last night, and it seems all as well. Pretty potent glue smell from that wheel well though.

My plan now is to beat on this vehicle until it has nothing left to give. It is going to need $450 again in November 2012 to keep it on the road (e-test conditional pass), so it will likely get sold/parted out/donated to medical experiments at that time.

No pics yet, sorry.

@adamzan, yeah by all means, I'll show it to you sometime, but let's pick a warm day.

Is this the same glue that holds the Titans "fully" boxed frame togeather?

From what I've seen it looks like typical uni-body rot, Jeeps, civics, Geos, hell every uni-body car does it. I'm not a mega fan of caR50s or even Nissans in genral (I like mine) but at least they took a step in fixing the problem. Hell newer Jeep Wranglers have Frame rot problems that there not fixing. Not too metion the hoards of 10 year old JGC's that have there towers welded.

Mine was about half as bad as Daddy Rim's pics there.

They let us take it home while they waited for the plate and glue etc to come in, which was delayed due to Christmas. Then, I brought it in at 8AM yesterday and brought it home 4pm same day. I drove it about 300km last night, and it seems all as well. Pretty potent glue smell from that wheel well though.

I'm amazed they did the work that quickly! I was quoted 2-4 days to do the work.

So I guess the amount of turn around time depends on the dealer, then?

pix

like I say in my thread, not sure what to do. If the dealer here can get it done (correctly) in a timely manner, that makes things easier.

To OP- sorry to threadjack. Hope I can get the same results as yourself.

Edited by Der_Vier

I would link the recall PDF which details Nissan's inspection and repair procedure with pictures, but it seems that it is no longer on the NHTSA website, and the Chilton Online site doesn't want to load for me either. :thumbsdown:

I've been looking for it as well as I wanted to be familiar with the repair procedure the dealer was going to follow. Unfortunately I haven't been able to access it either.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the strut rot problem but I took care of it. Mine was so bad the strut tower was actually pushing the brake master cylinder into the hood.

Usually I do all my own work, including welding, but this seemed a bit beyond my welding skills. I work at a machine shop where we have several TIG welders on staff. One of them has a body shop at his house, so I brought the truck to him. We tore apart the truck, chained the strut tower to the floor in his garage, raised the truck to close the gap in the tower, cut all the rot out, lined up the strut tower according to his collision repair books, replaced the missing steel, sandwiched the new steel with more steel inside and outside of the wheel well, welded all the seams, sprayed the entire area with undercoating, and reassembled the truck. I also had to rewire the ABS sensor and replace the sway bar link since they both broke as a result of the strut tower flexing. I've gone wheeling and had the suspension at full articulation countless times since the repair and there has been no flexing or cracking. When we went to align the truck there was nothing to do. The front end was still in perfect alignment. No tire wear and no more problems. The repair cost me about $400 and the worst part of the entire thing is trying to get Nissan USA to cover the cost of the repair.

Don't throw these trucks away, guys, fix em'! They're well worth the small investment of time and money.

Since this repair I've replaced...

Front struts

Front strut top-hats

Rear shocks

Rear sway bar bushings

Rear lower trailing arms

Tie rod ends

CV shafts

Front pads & rotors

Front caliper

Distributor cap & rotor

Spark plugs & wires

Sway bar links

Alternator

Radio

Exhaust W/ dual in single out DynoMax muffler

K&N short ram intake

O2 sensors

31 X 10.5 X 15" tires on stock rims

Edited by PlatinumRacing

• 1 year later...

I was messing around under the hood the other day when i noticed a rust hole in the inner fender well. My heart sank, i thought for sure i got away from the strut tower thing cleanly. (guess not) so i dropped her off at the dealer today and bam, one day turn around, they did the recommended Recall fix on her and she is good to go again. and yes part of that is the undercoating where they fixed it. anyways. I was worried i was going to lose my ride. But nope got it back in 7 hours. :laugh: