Used to be a Pathy owner, want to see my 4Runner?

Earth1

:blush02:

Here is my (re)intro I just wrote if anyone cares to read... intro.

I found this truck locally and had to have it. It's an 87 4Runner body on a 01 4Runner chassis; old school, top-off looks with the 3rd gen Runner reliability. The price was too good to pass up. Solid truck with a great wheeling platform. I put about a 3" lift on it, the basket and lights and 285's. It came with bumpers and a body lift and some newer seats. Has been a perfect truck for my needs all summer.

Some pics mall crawling. I apologize for the low res pic with the dirty cellphone camera lens.

BTW it will still articulate quite a bit more, swaybars are connected with flex to spare in this photo.

IMG00054.jpg

Edited by trader

Yep, the builder has done several custom projects and some 40 series Land Cruisers conversions the same way. His concept is that a lot of people like the look of the older Toyotas, so he finds nice old bodies and transplants them onto newer chassis. With a nice shop, a hoist and cheap salvage vehicles, it would be a worthy project. His work is outstanding- I'd highly recommend anyone in the Denver area looking for fab work to check him out. He makes some bada$$ bumpers/etc.

On mine, he removed the body mount gussets from the frame and added new ones to line up with the 87 body. My cluster, steering column/wheel and center console are from the 01, seats are from a 2nd gen (89-95); I've been entertaining the thought of a Tacoma dash swap. I have some light body work to do and paint it first tho. The full factory options are on the wishlist: e-locker, center diff locker, locking hubs and TRD supercharger.

I have to tell you it is a blast- light, suficient power/torque, 2 speed transfer case/nice low range, and as much as I liked driving the Pathy and not being every other Jeep or Yota in Colorado... it is so nice to have aftermarket options galore with the platform.

Thanks for looking!

My (other) project car: http://loosestandards.atwebpages.com/

hey sweet restore BTW!

Edited by trader

WOW!!! I love it. I will say, I usually hate Toyotas. I do have respect for the older trucks though. To me, Toyotas are very..plain and monotonous. "oh, I'm going to buy this Toyota Camry because it's reliable and blah blah". it's all the same, but that's another thing.

I love how it looks. I think it's because I'm a nostalgic person, but I much prefer older, boxy type vehicles. It's why I have a hardbody! The guy who does the fabrication must have a very large attention span. He must also know his fair share of cars down to every last bolt. It's a very unique idea. This makes me wonder how it would be if I put a HB body on a 2008 Frontier or something? A nice 4.0l engine with a 6 speed maybe? Hmm..I'm not sure. I like the simplicity of the older vehicles. Newer ones have plenty of electronics to complicate everything

No to be nosy, but you mentioned the price a few times. I read this thread and your other one about re-visiting NPORA in the new persons forum. You keep saying how good of a deal it was. How much did you pay for the thing?

BTW it will still articulate quite a bit more, swaybars are connected with flex to spare in this photo.

nice the ammount of flex those things have ain't it? (I know my 2nd gen will swing the rear axle crooked enough to let the driveshaft tap the gas tank skid). Plus you got the option list of a 3rd gen with that sweet sweet 1st gen removable top :aok:

Thanks. Me too with the older trucks. He did simplify things a bit... no bells and whistles on this truck- no AC or power windows, etc. I get to test emisions as an 87 too!

I think a Hardbody conversion would be really cool. If the wheelbase and frame are fairly close it would be doable. When you really think about, there's not much to it... body mounts, front clip, maybe extend the harness and some random wires- just drop the body on it's new home. 2 issues with these conversions might be the tranny hump and hood clearance. Cluster probably was tricky on my truck. Not really anything too big for someone with those fab skills. If you can put a Camaro on a CJ7, you can do anything.

I paid $3500 for it, motor is said to have been rebuilt, new bushings, fluids, etc. I couldn't find a strong running clean body 87 for much less, that wouldn't even touch a 2001. I jumped right on it.

Edited by Earth1
  • Like 1

Thanks. Me too with the older trucks. He did simplify things a bit... no bells and whistles on this truck- no AC or power windows, etc. I get to test emisions as an 87 too!

I think a Hardbody conversion would be really cool. If the wheelbase and frame are fairly close it would be doable. When you really think about, there's not much to it... body mounts, front clip, maybe extend the harness and some random wires- just drop the body on it's new home. 2 issues with these conversions might be the tranny hump and hood clearance. Cluster probably was tricky on my truck. Not really anything too big for someone with those fab skills. If you can put a Camaro on a CJ7, you can do anything.

I paid $3500 for it, motor is said to have been rebuilt, new bushings, fluids, etc. I couldn't find a strong running clean body 87 for much less, that wouldn't even touch a 2001. I jumped right on it.

that IS an amazing price. You are completely right. $3500 wouldn't even buy an 87 in good condition. Maybe a rusty one with high mileage. Buying an 01? Eeek. Usually modifications/fabrication (done correctly) really shoots the price up. Good find

I would love to do the body swap with a hardbody and modern frontier! Maybe in 5-10 years when I have some money laying around and a nice work space. That's the key. Tools and space. I'll wait for 2005-2012 Frontiers to come down to maybe..6-9 grand.

Edited by 1994SEV6

The problem with all the newer trucks is that they are getting so big, that would make the conversion a lot harder I imagine. Even going to the next gen up from my chasis would complicate things. But, you'll probably be rich by then so it won't matter!

The problem with all the newer trucks is that they are getting so big, that would make the conversion a lot harder I imagine. Even going to the next gen up from my chasis would complicate things. But, you'll probably be rich by then so it won't matter!

oh yeah. everything is huge nowadays. it's ridiculous. Have you seen the new Tundra? wtf??!!?!??! why is it soooo big? Same with the minivans. I sure hope that's an optical illusion. I still can't get over those Tundras though. You can't see anything. Wanna parallel park that thing? Good luck..

I don't think the Nissans have gotten too bad. The titan is sure a large truck, but the Frontier ain't too big yet

As the power output of engines has increased, the safety of vehicles had to increase as well. Therefore, safety standards have become crazy these days. A vehicle must withstand so much impact force therefore it has to be reinforced just about everywhere which makes for an increase in weight and size. More metal and more bull@!*% is the only way a vehicle will be safer in a collision. That old Toyota will squish like a beer can in a rollover accident!

Now, the WD21 doesn't have airbags and nothing is reinforced all that well either. However, sometimes it is good to not have bombs in your face.

Edited by Tungsten

:blush02:

Here is my (re)intro I just wrote if anyone cares to read... intro.

I found this truck locally and had to have it. It's an 87 4Runner body on a 01 4Runner chassis; old school, top-off looks with the 3rd gen Runner reliability. The price was too good to pass up. Solid truck with a great wheeling platform. I put about a 3" lift on it, the basket and lights and 285's. It came with bumpers and a body lift and some newer seats. Has been a perfect truck for my needs all summer.

Some pics mall crawling. I apologize for the low res pic with the dirty cellphone camera lens.

IMG00054.jpg

You know when I was buying 4x4vehicle I was looking in to 4runners or pathfinders. These are my favorite. Nice picture man.

When i picture a 4runner, i picture this style. Thats an instant classic in my opinion. I had a 3rd gen before i upgraded to the pathy and both are very good vehicles. Were a toyota family at heart but now with a Nissan I can go both ways :scratchhead: haha. Awesome conversion though. When it warms up, have fun taking her top off!!

-Chase

oh yeah. everything is huge nowadays. it's ridiculous. Have you seen the new Tundra? wtf??!!?!??! why is it soooo big? Same with the minivans. I sure hope that's an optical illusion. I still can't get over those Tundras though. You can't see anything. Wanna parallel park that thing? Good luck..

I don't think the Nissans have gotten too bad. The titan is sure a large truck, but the Frontier ain't too big yet

So true, the Tacoma is the size the Tundra used to be and the Tundra is huge.

Just no. WD22s suck because of their inferior frames. Leaf sprung suspension and a low mounted gas tank on a WD21? No thanks.

I was thinking the same... but a supercharged VG33ER WD22 with a WD21 body would be sweet, with some changes. After helping my friend lift his WD22 and spending some time underneath, it looks more and more like my old Pathy every time I see it. It is so similar. Granted it is leaf-sprung in the rear, but the dimensions are close and the wheelbase is exactly the same;

WD22:Length 178.0 in, Width 70.4 in, Wheelbase 104.3 in

vs.

WD21 Length 171.9 in, WIdth 66.5 in, Wheelbase 104.3 in

Now if you had an X motor/chassis sitting around and a Pathfinder donor with a clean body/interior, swapping the Pathy 5 link rear and going with a custom gas tank where the X's spare is wouldn't be hard for someone with enough time, some money, and crazy enough to do it... just to say you did it. You'd still be wheeling an IFS, basically the same as before. A built VG33et/SAS swap on a WD21 would yield better results for the same effort IMO.

I don't know anything about those frames, that could change my opinion though.