01SE - Drifting at High Speeds

tkpath

Passing through 65 notice a drifting, almost floating sensation. Like the thing wants to dance. On its own. Any similar observations. Very similar to when you pass through a bow wave when passing a truck.

Over 65??? Jersey Turnpike .. I'm literally just trying to keep up with traffic!

Thanks.

Model year? Mileage?

The high speed pathy dance - sounds like control arm bushings - see my site for my experiences

www.purplelizard.com

may also be struts - seem to get soft around 70k miles - check your rear bumpstops to get an idea if the rear coils are getting soft (if the bumpstops are broken or missing that is a sign you have bottomed out a few time too many, and the coils are fatigued)

The major suspension components are:

Front struts

Front coils

Rear Coils

rear shocks

upper and lower control arms

Known problems (Nissan has a TSB) concerning swaying at speed are the rubber bushings in the control arms. I think this is what you are experiencing. Dealer will replace all four for about $550 p/l. Or you can do it yourself, or you can consider poly bushings (see the other post nearby concerning this)

Secondary known problems are the struts although I think the SE comes with a better strut than the XE. The better strut to replace with is the KYB gas; stiffer, stronger and cheaper! I got them from tirerack.com on the dealers recomemndation.

Lastly, if you carry heavy loads or drive on rough trails often you will fatigue the rear coils. Replace with Nissan if you want the same ride; look to Old Man Emu if you want a firmer coil without a noticeable lift; or take the hardcore off-road approach with Automotive Customizers 2 inch lift coils.

More choices than most owners realize - the msg boards rule!

m.

Thanks all. Sounds like I've entered plowed territory.

It's a 2001SE, man trans with 40k miles.

I don't really offroad .. just do the DC roads and highway thing.

That said .. I guess I'm in the bushing area?

I'm surprised .. when I got this to replace my Ford Explorer Sport (float city - basically anchors away) I thought my bushing problems were behind me.

I'll have the dealer check it out.

If this additional info mods your answer or you can narrow it down, I'd appreciate it.

And, yes, these forums are super.

Update.

Dealer inspected rear bushings/suspension and felt everything was well within specs.

They did note the need for an alignment and the greater need for balancing.

I can't say I noticed a balance problem (with DC streets and that car you sort of assume the bouncing is not you) but perhaps at high speeds, with a little crosswind thrown in, the balancing issue can become pronounced. And at that point .. the we're leaving stable flight sensation might kick in.

We'll see. It's spooky.