D.I.Y. Spark plug change

gv280z

Hey all, I'm sorry if I may be double posting but I felt this needed covered.

I changed my spark plugs myself! Yess! What a great feeling it is after looking under the hood and eyeing the intake manifold for a month and talking to several different mechanics all telling me "oh yeah it's going to be atleast 3 hours labor and cost around $200 cuz see we're going to have to remove the manifold" Yeah, that's a lot of BULL CRAP!

I searched and searched trying to find a procedure or instructions as to how to get this done by myself without removing the manifold but couldn't find any help. Then I got to looking around in here and finally came away with enough info and clues (and confidence) that I could do it. Yes, it did take me a while especially because it was dark and I was holding a flashlight in my mouth but that only drives my point home for me. This isn't as scary as it seems at first.

If you're a Pathy newbie like me but have atleast socket / wrench / ratchet level mechanical experience and have changed your own plugs before on other vehicles like a four cylinder front wheel drive honda or nissan where the plugs are on display for your right in front, don't worry you can do this one too. Here is what I did (remember it was dark)

You need a standard ratchet (I use 6" handle with 3/8" drive) 10" extension, universal joint and maybe a 3" extension and plug wire puller pliers. Also having small step stool helped big time. Obviously the 3 on the left bank (closest to the battery) are not an issue. Use the plug wire pullers to pry up the two long boots going through the manifold one at a time of course. Then using the 10" extension and plug socket just feed it all the way down through and voila! You're on the plug zip zip wham bam that's it. Both of these go really easily.

The notorious number 6 way in the back is the little bugger that makes this a pain. For me the absolute worst part was dealing with a plug wire that was just about heat welded onto the plug. I ended up breaking the wire loose from the metal clip which I did repair later on. Once you can get the plug wire off that plug by either reaching down and back with your left hand and tugging on it or using the plug wire pullers. (There really is no easy way to get at this, you just have to work on it and mess with it but it can be done.)

This time I used the 3" extension with the plug socket and the universal joint snapped into the top of the 3" extension with the 10" extension coming off of that to the ratchet. In this manner, you can easily remove the number 6 plug.

Voila! Magnifique :) That's it, you're done. Gap all the new plugs correctly and I personally put dieelectric grease on top of the plug and inside the plug wire boot. I said earlier I broke a wire (almost pretty much had to just to get it out of the way), if this happens to you, don't worry it's not the end of the world. This morning I was able to take my work truck and drive up to the auto parts store and get another new metal clip (I dropped the other one inside the front of the grille and couldn't retrieve it)

I also got a replacement wire that I could have used had I needed to. I didn't know you could buy just one plug wire but yes, you can. Anyway get the new metal clip, insert the end of the plug wire inside it and using a strong pair of pliers (for me it was vice grips) crimp the clip down very firmly and tight onto the wire and draw back inside the boot, put your grease and snap back on the plug and that's it. Thereby saving yourself atleast (at the very minimum) $100 - $150 if not $200+ because you changed your plugs yourself.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I was able to get myself a little bit more room to work by lifting the hood up as high as it would go and pry the hood "kickstand" against the hood in that sort of padded / cloth area, it will hold firm. I was under my hood like that for hours last night. I think this is almost a requirement because you need to get all the way over and back to get your hand on the number 6 plug wire boot. Having the hood out of the way helps.

• Like 1

Thanks gv, and congrats! You have inspired me no end with your story of triumph. I can't wait to get back under there and begin dislocating my wrists and banging my elbows! At least I know it can be done (i.e. 'when necessary')! 8>)

cheers

Shaggy

I lost my new #6 plug trying to get it started back there with me hanging over the engine (I am short) and wound up having to go to the parts store to get another one. He was like "You only need 1 plug?" and I replied "Don't ask." lol

I still don't know where that plug is lol. I searched for about 15 minutes and finally decided by the time I found it, I could have just spent the $2 for another one and be done with it.

Edited by c00lkatz

I lost my new #6 plug trying to get it started back there with me hanging over the engine (I am short) and wound up having to go to the parts store to get another one. He was like "You only need 1 plug?" and I replied "Don't ask." lol

I still don't know where that plug is lol. I searched for about 15 minutes and finally decided by the time I found it, I could have just spent the $2 for another one and be done with it.

Oh man I guess I forgot to mention my spark plug socket seems to be magnetic! It held perfectly in place so I could just lower right down into the well at the end of the extension.

Oh man I guess I forgot to mention my spark plug socket seems to be magnetic! It held perfectly in place so I could just lower right down into the well at the end of the extension.

That's a good idea. I've had those spark plug sockets with the little rubber nipple in them and the nipple always pops out, so I've just used regular sockets since. I'll have to give that a shot next time.

changing spark plugs...? Uh..i didn't think it was that hard. You guys are acting like it's rocket science or something? I haven't studied it in detail or anything, but it seems like it would only take 10 mins? Unplug the boots, unscrew the plugs, replace plugs, and refit the boots. Not a huge deal. or am I totally wrong about this?

changing spark plugs...? Uh..i didn't think it was that hard. You guys are acting like it's rocket science or something? I haven't studied it in detail or anything, but it seems like it would only take 10 mins? Unplug the boots, unscrew the plugs, replace plugs, and refit the boots. Not a huge deal. or am I totally wrong about this?

Lots of things are easy in theory and occasionally more complicated in reality :) On another car I once thought I was going to need to use a winch to remove the spark plug wires. On this truck it's the #6 plug that is a bit of a pain, but once you've figured out "the system" it goes a heck of a lot easier.

Good job getting the plugs changed yourself!

Good job starting down the road of maintaining your own vehicle (the basic things anyway). You save $ and gain satisfaction...

As for holding the flashlight in your mouth, get one of these, they have 1000 uses other than working on cars. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-HD33A1EN-3-LED-Headlight/dp/B00081GATG

B

This is a fair statement. You are right, plugs and wires are easy, basic. However (and this is coming from a guy that's had well over 10 cars since I was sixteen) There are some vehicles, many now these days where when you lift the hood, there's nothing even slightly recognizable that you can begin to wrap your mind around. It's just all engine cover screaming at you "Don't you DARE touch me!"

That's kinda how I felt looking under the hood of my new 94 pathy. I saw those three wires disappearing beneath the intake plenum and I struggled to make some sense of it. It's very daunting at first, UNTIL you learn that there's really nothing to be afraid of and this thing is actually possible.

Possible and no excuse to pay someone more than 30, 50 bucks to do it for you. 10 minutes, no, not at first. Now that I've done it once I might be able to do it in half an hour, depending on how easy number 6 is to deal with. Which, now that I've got die-electric grease on the plug and boot, should be a cinch.

Edited by gv280z

Good job starting down the road of maintaining your own vehicle (the basic things anyway). You save $ and gain satisfaction...

As for holding the flashlight in your mouth, get one of these, they have 1000 uses other than working on cars. ;)

B

If your a hat person theres one that clips on the bill of it too... Hands free light is nice!

Yeah if you're staring at an inline 4 in an economy car and all the plugs are neatly placed on top and easy as pie to get to. Plugs are very simple and basic maintenance, but their location on an engine (and especially in a tight engine bay) makes them a PITA to change sometimes. Ever done a tune-up on a Chevy Astro van? If you can get that done in 10 minutes I'll bow down to you.

+1 x 100000000

Those things are awesome! Easily one of the best "tools" in my garage!

Edited by c00lkatz

Congratulations on doing the work yourself! Even though my dad forced me to do my first spark plug change at the point of a ratchet when I was about seven, I still sometimes scratch my head the first time I look under the hood of a new vehicle. And that number six plug can be a bit daunting. I've found that the spark plug tool in the factory tool set makes getting the number six plug out a cinch.