Another Clutch/Trans Noise Post

tkpath

'01 SE, manual transmission, 104k miles. Latest clutch has maybe 60k on it and rebuild trans maybe 40k on it.

Got a little chilly in the NE recently.

Car cold. Clutch depressed, first gear selected, start car .. noise. I guess it was a slight howling sound but almost like a pump failing as well.

Went down a few days later, same start up drill, same sound regardless of gear selected while parked .. then slipped stick to neutral with clutch released (pedal NOT depressed) and, voila, noise gone. Depress clutch pedal .. noise back. If you drive a bit and restart, no sound but after a bit of downtime, sound back at start up.

Any and all input appreciated.

Tom

Mines been getting worse for the last 2 years, same thing, only when clutch is depressed, sometimes between shifts when the cars cold. I talked to a Nissan mechanic I randomly met, he said it was the release bearing, common problem, doesn't mean clutch is going out he said..

It's a nasty/alarming sound. I know it's supposed to be the release bearing from all I've read but it has a bit more resonance to it than I'd like (without knowing for sure it's that bearing).

Pain to get to a decent dealer so I do appreciate the good guesses.

Yeah, mines fricken loud!!!! People look at me at stoplights when it happening so I clutch out these days when I stop.. If you find out anything definite about your problem, please share.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a clutch problem similar to this except it only happens when i go into reverse. Ill be backing up and ill press down the clutch pedal and here the worst sound ive heard from my truck and it continues after i have stopped moving and have put the truck in neutral and still have the pedal pressed down. but when i take my foot off the clutch pedal it stops right away. After that i press down on the clutch pedal while the truck is standing still and the noise does not happen again.. this happens regularly and i dont know what on earth is causing it(and the clutch is not that old, 20000kms old at most)

'01 SE, manual transmission, 104k miles. Latest clutch has maybe 60k on it and rebuild trans maybe 40k on it.

Got a little chilly in the NE recently.

Car cold. Clutch depressed, first gear selected, start car .. noise. I guess it was a slight howling sound but almost like a pump failing as well.

Went down a few days later, same start up drill, same sound regardless of gear selected while parked .. then slipped stick to neutral with clutch released (pedal NOT depressed) and, voila, noise gone. Depress clutch pedal .. noise back. If you drive a bit and restart, no sound but after a bit of downtime, sound back at start up.

Any and all input appreciated.

Tom