Transmission Slipping

texasmuddbug

I searched and didn't run across any topics that covered this so here goes. I've have v6 with an automatic and I'm wondering if my torque converter is flaking out. Here's the symtoms. Sometimes starting off it slips like crazy and I have to back my foot off or it just keeps slipping. It hesitates to shift into third when I need to merge with traffic and then shifts rather hard into it if I dont back off of the gas. At 55-70 mph it will strangely jump up a couple hundred rpm if I sink my foot a little in the gas or if I start to come to a hill then if I give it a little more gas it drops back down, give it even more and goes on and downshifts. It isn't dropping out of overdrive into 3rd, its just dropping/revving 200 or so rpm. My thoughts are that for some reason the torque converter is jumping out of being locked at those speeds. Anyways, thanks guys.

• What type of fluid do you use?
  • Do you have a transmission cooler?
  • Does the ECU show any codes?

I haven't changed the transmission fluid, leave well enough alone there.

Yes, I have a transmission cooler

No, the ecu shows no error codes.

Do you see any metal flakes or other debris/contaminants when you wipe the transmission dipstick on a paper towel? Do you have an in-line or spin-on transmission filter in addition to the cooler? I assume your stock cooler is bypassed, correct?

Hmm... doesn't sound like classic Pathfinder tranny clog then. Your guess about the torque converter may be right, I honestly don't know. It could also be low fluid not filling the TC, but you said that's good... only other thing I can think of is worn-out clutches.

Is it any different with the O/D switch on/off? I'm pretty sure OD does something with the torque converter. :scratchhead:

Hmm... doesn't sound like classic Pathfinder tranny clog then. Your guess about the torque converter may be right, I honestly don't know. It could also be low fluid not filling the TC, but you said that's good... only other thing I can think of is worn-out clutches.

Is it any different with the O/D switch on/off? I'm pretty sure OD does something with the torque converter. :scratchhead:

It doesn't seem to make any difference with O/D switch on or off. I was afraid it was clutches or T/C...sooo much money...

There is a comprehensive trouble shooting section in the Factory Service Manual, available for free download in the Garage section. This would be the best place to start IMO.

B

sweet, I'll check that out for sure, thanks B. I'll let you guys know if I figure anything out.

If you find out what's causing it, please let me know! My 88 is doing the same exact thing with the rpms jumping around by a couple hundred. The diagnostics said something with my revolution sensor, but I have doubts to if thats the problem or not. I was told that there is a solenoid valve that controls the operation of the torque converter. Maybe this solenoid is going haywire and not letting the TQ make up its mind....