No idea what's wrong

bmcgawain

I got a chance to look over the two ECCS wiring schematics. A few of the colors are different but the wires seem to go to the same sensors, and the 89 has an extra wire for a exhaust gas temperature sensor. It should be ok to run the 89 ECU on the 87 wiring. If you have time it won't hurt to plug in the 87 ECU just to see if it runs the same. If it does at least you'll know you have a spare ECU.

James

So it was my tps. This is confirmed. I replaced it with the one from the donor engine and set it to factory specs. Now I am battling a high idle and smoke during hard revs and start up. Definately fuel smoke, not oil. I'm wondering about that injector. I'm gonna go to the previous post to test it out. If it's not the injector, any other suggestions?

So it was my tps. This is confirmed. I replaced it with the one from the donor engine and set it to factory specs. Now I am battling a high idle and smoke during hard revs and start up. Definitely fuel smoke, not oil. I'm wondering about that injector. I'm gonna go to the previous post to test it out. If it's not the injector, any other suggestions?

Does it high idle only during warm up? If not, then simply turn the idle speed screw out to bring the idle speed down to around 800 rpm's with the fan switch on the off position. As for the 'smoke' or richness. You could have dirty or faulty injectors. I think I read somewhere on here that during idle and up to a certain rpm level, your only using one injector, after that rpm level is reached or exceeded, both injectors start supplying fuel.

Just out of curiosity have you cleaned or replaced the spark plugs? You may have 1 or 2 that are partly fouled from the other problem.

If it's hard starting, try checking and tracing the ignition electrical. Plug wires, cap, rotor and all the connections. Go with the simple obvious stuff first. Then check for vacuum leaks

Just throwing that out there!

Vacuum leaks are checked off the list. Plugs may be a little black from my rich fuel though. I can't get the idle lower that 1200rpm. That's after operating temp. Cold idle is 2200-2300rpm. More smoke in the start up than warmed. Still smokes on hard pull when warmed too. I have heard a clogged injector tip can cause some of these same issues. Especially if the injector is stuck open. Cap rotor and wires new with recent install. Anything else?

I'm thinking it sounds more like a dirty injector dumping raw fuel into the intake. Try looking down the throat of the throttle body with the ignition key turned all the way on, but not far enough to engage the starter. You should hear the fuel pump pressurize the fuel system then 'click' off. Indicating you have reached proper fuel line pressure. If you look down the throat of the throttle body with a flashlight do you see any fuel squirting from an injector or smell excess gas?

Also with the engine running, check to see if the fuel is vaporized in the Throttle body body, and not shooting a 'stream' of fuel down the intake.

Edited by krmiller07

Your cold idle sounds way too high as well. Go back to the FSM and follow the instructions for adjusting these. Theres also a thread on here in the 'Garage' that details the different aspects and functions of the TBI system. I know these 'shouldn't' have changed, since the whole TBI and intake came off the old motor.However you have changed some of the key components. Double check your work!

Edited by krmiller07

You can also remove the distributor cap and turn the engine by the crank until the rotor almost contacts a point. Then you can wiggle the rotor with your hand and when it does turn past a contact point the CAS will send a pulse to the injectors to fire them. You can do that while looking into the throttle body to watch the injectors work as many times as you want.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest vacuum line's but since you checked that off the list... My 88 was having the same problem it turned out a friend of mine mixed up my lines, and when they were back in the right spot all my problems went away. which were exactly what you were describing. hope you solve it.

Edited by trogdor

I would agree with trogdor as well. I chased down a similar problem(s) that took over a year to find. Same characteristics (high idle, running rich, pathetic gas mileage etc..) turns out after being told I had bent valves, leaking intake gaskets etc.. I had it hooked up to a smoke machine which is used in finding leaks in A/C systems. Fount a vacuum line leak in the back of the engine. The line connecting to the EGR valve was split length wise and was nearly impossible to detect by the naked eye.Once the smoke machine was blowing smoke through the entire intake and vacuum lines the leak was clearly visible. Cut a 1/2" off the line...problem solved! Saved about a $1000.00 in labor using 'old school' diagnostics. Hope you find the problem.

• 2 weeks later...