Slight Miss- Any Ideas?

brix542

Ive got a slight miss/stumble when acclerating from a dead stop in my 94 se. I just changed the spark plugs which took away a major miss i had. 3 different types and only 3 plugs looked even half way decent. I just bought this truck and owner before me changed the wires so they are new. Any ideas on this slight miss i got? Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

• Have you replaced the distributor cap and rotor?
  • What brand of spark plugs are you using?
  • Are the spark plugs in the correct heat range?
  • Do you have any other codes stored in the ECU?

May i ask what the problem is with autolites? i ran them in my 1994 xe for about a year till i got in the wreck. never had a problem. we run them in almost all of our vehicles. never had much of a problem with them.

Who is the manufacturer of the wires? Nissan engines work well with either MSD, NGK, or Yazaki wires. No idea on other brands... Have you checked the gap on those plugs by any chance?

Ive got a slight miss/stumble when acclerating from a dead stop in my 94 se. I just changed the spark plugs which took away a major miss i had. 3 different types and only 3 plugs looked even half way decent. I just bought this truck and owner before me changed the wires so they are new. Any ideas on this slight miss i got? Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

might also look for a vacuum leak. :my2cents:

Gap was checked and corrected to .032-.035 as specified in the owners manual when i put the plugs in. not sure on brand of wires. il check tomorrow. i do know they are blue. As to the vacuum leak i found one dry rotted hose and replaced it when i did the plugs. it was the one that runs from below to over top of plug 6 in the very back. Thanks to all. it isnt anything that affect the dd ability of the truck just wanna tune it in perfect or as close as possible.

Probably are NGK wires. the prevoius owners said they did a "tune up" a few months ago and the 3 plugs that were actually changed and were halfway decent were NGK brand. But thats not saying much. With the other 3 plugs being 2 autolites and 1 boosch im not sure what exactly their tuneup consisted of. Basically they changed what plugs they could do easy, changed wires, and cranked the idle up to compensate for the miss. No tach but when we changed all the plugs she sounds to be idling in park at around 2500 rmp.

I had the higher end NGK's in my pathy and when I changed them to the factory V-power ones because they were on sale I noticed absolutely no difference...Other than the fact that the higher end ones may last longer. But I'd go with what the manual says.

Autolites are garbage. Personally I'm at 3 of those suckers that were bad out of the box or failed shortly after installing. The porcelain is pretty weak on them and they have a tendency to crack apart.

Does your issue vary with how much throttle you give it?

Maybe try cleaning the MAF and wiring.

The only time it misses is if i come to a dead stop like at a stop sign. then when i take off it mises/stumbles 1-4 times and then takes off and runs fine. i have noticed that it will only do it the first time you completely stop enless youve gone 5+ miles.

So, the manual says to use NGK BKR6EY. Are those the NGK plugs to use, or can he get a little more fancy?

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1211971

I would never use a Iridium/Platinum/24K Gold Plated/Moon Rock (you get the idea) in any vehicle unless the owners manual says.

I have some kind of fancier NGKs in my truck. I think they are g-power... they seem to work. Maybe my occasional miss at idle is due to them, but I doubt it. I will probably just try to buy the manual spec ones next time, but mostly because they are cheaper. My plugs were supposed to be gapped correctly when I bought them, but they weren't. I found that fairly disappointing. Seen a lot of bad QC in auto parts recently...

Edited by sewebster

I have some kind of fancier NGKs in my truck. I think they are g-power... they seem to work. Maybe my occasional miss at idle is due to them, but I doubt it. I will probably just try to buy the manual spec ones next time, but mostly because they are cheaper. My plugs were supposed to be gapped correctly when I bought them, but they weren't. I found that fairly disappointing. Seen a lot of bad QC in auto parts recently...

I would be ok with the copper cores or the G-powers. Just the iridium/platinum I would stay away from. Every time I buy a set of NGK's I ask the gap to double check and they tell me they are already gapped. They never are.

My plugs were supposed to be gapped correctly when I bought them, but they weren't.

The specs on the NGK page show that the plugs out of the box are gapped @ 0.035". This is at the upper threshold of wear tolerance. Gapping them to the lower threshold would mean that as the centre electrode wears away, the gap remains in tolerance. This is why one should ALWAYS gap new plugs.

Edited by lint