Passenger Handle

I am setting here waiting for an oil pump to show up. Why no play a little...

This beta version is made from stuff I had laying around.

In the morning I am going to head down for some smaller tubing and some 1/8 inch plate.

For those who ride b1tch on occasion.

100_1646800x600.jpg

100_1641800x600.jpg

100_1642800x600.jpg

100_1643800x600.jpg

Edited by AK9849cy

Bit more involved than I have intentions of doeing... but I have a bunch of spare factory grab handles layin around. If anything you might have just motivated me to actually do something with them (as does every time I get in the wifes 4runner... I love that handle in there)

I don't agree with that. There is absolutely nothing to hold the handle to except that thin piece of steel. The pillar is not made for the handle and neither is the plastic that sits on it. I don't think it will end well once you actually try to use it.

• Like 1

What's wrong with the handle above the passenger?

Nobody ever grabs there in tippy situations. Thus, their hands end up grabbing the door jam with fingers prime for a crushing! They see the A pillar handles and tend to use them in split second situations.

I don't agree with that. There is absolutely nothing to hold the handle to except that thin piece of steel. The pillar is not made for the handle and neither is the plastic that sits on it. I don't think it will end well once you actually try to use it.

Technically that's any interior handle that ain't mounted to a cage (though I've hung my 150-160 lb arse from my added drivers overhead handle), but as said I'd prefer to have my hand there than other impulse places it could end in a "greasy side up" situation. Plus they are nice for pulling yourself in when you don't what to reach completly 'up'

I don't know about that... All my passengers have grabbed the handle above before taking sharp turns.

Who said all that was behind there is a thin piece of steel? Assume away brotha!

So, if that handle is so wonderful? Why do all the new Nissan rigs come with the handle on the A pillar..

I guess Nissan should remove those being folks don't use or need them make these rigs cheaper for us. :scratchhead:

Edited by AK9849cy

I didn't assume! I took the pillars apart completely before and don't think their strength is adequate for a heavy duty handle. Also, you are going to be squishing the plastic on the pillar by putting so much pressure on it. Those handles are a great idea on 4x4s but they don't work very well on the WD21 body. Later on, of course Nissan added more features not even found on WD21s. Not going to stop you from putting one in though and I think that your design looks great but make sure you set it up in a way where the plastic isn't crushed by the handle. If the plastic is stressed then it will crack and look like crap.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

I didn't assume! I took the pillars apart completely before and don't think their strength is adequate for a heavy duty handle. Also, you are going to be squishing the plastic on the pillar by putting so much pressure on it. Those handles are a great idea on 4x4s but they don't work very well on the WD21 body. Not going to stop you from putting one in though and I think that looks great but make sure you set it up in a way where the plastic isn't crushed by the handle.

So what is that plastic crushed against... hmm...

You are free to your opinion, if you don't want handles there.. don't put any there.

OH, and make sure the bolts on your overhead handle are tight and not stripped.. they are known for that. I have seen a few pull off in someones hand...

I will go out and drill a hole in the A pillar my 2000 Xterra in the morning. Really see if the metal is any different.. I would hate to assume...

Edited by AK9849cy

So what is that plastic crushed against... hmm...

You are free to your opinion, if you don't want handles there.. don't put any there.

OH, and make sure the bolts on your overhead handle are tight and not stripped.. they are known for that. I have seen a few pull off in someones hand...

I will go out and drill a hole in the A pillar my 2000 Xterra in the morning. Really see if the metal is any different.. I would hate to assume...

Never had one strip out on me before. A 2000 Xterra should be tons better in terms of A pillar strength due to advancements in safety and a mandatory increase in roll resistance.

• Like 1

Never had one strip out on me before. A 2000 Xterra should be tons better in terms of A pillar strength due to advancements in safety and a mandatory increase in roll resistance.

We are talking about the thickness of the steel.. are you fishing for a way out?

Oh Tungston........

I'm gonna buy you a shirt somewhere that has a picture of a foot in a mouth. Perhaps you've never seen anything that Ryan has ever built before. He's a Family man, Well versed in making anything and everything work and work better then most actual manufacturers come up with. His designs change as function needs, and lastly...... Do you really think that he would just pop a handle like that on a stock a pillar of a Totally built up 4x4 truck without thinking perhaps that it wouldn't be safe?

Nevermind.... not my argument..... just thought I'd mention that it would have been better to ask if its going to secure enough then claim he's doing it wrong.

Just sayin.

By the way.... kick ass handle. Love the addition of the cap opener for the Passenger to use.

:rofl: Of course I saw what he built. I was just throwing some questions out about it. I really wasn't sure about the handle though. WD21s weren't as beefy as WD22s and R50s are in terms of body reinforcement for the increasing safety standards.
  • Like 1

Wanna sell me one? exactly like that one. With the engraving. :)

LOL, I made that one so I could study the whole deal while setting in the seat. Placement, hand/knuckle clearance, odd ideas to make it better. I have to admit the engraving was kinda clever! One of my good buds told me to call it that.

Edited by AK9849cy

:rofl: Of course I saw what he built. I was just throwing some questions out about it. I really wasn't sure about the handle though. WD21s weren't as beefy as WD22s and R50s are in terms of body reinforcement for the increasing safety standards.

Ask all the question ya want bro.. To answer what I think you where trying to ask. I made a rib type structure that spans the area between the clip holes that the plastic mounts to. This rib was made from 1/8 steel.. I have not shown pics of the ribs being they are tacked on with boogerish quicky mock up stabs. This makes them easy to remove if something needs to be changed. However when I get the shapes of these to where I want them, and cleaned it all up for some nice stitch welds.. I will post them up. Promise! I guess it doesn't show in the pic.. but the handle also uses 4 bolts, not two.

How Nissan normally deals with thin steel is place a backing plate behind the thin material in order spread out the forces of the bolt being used. They even use this type setup on your upper control arm mounts. Those two holes thread into a thick backing plate behind the skin of the frame. It is not all the big.. just made out of some thick hard stuff! It is maybe the size of an almond joy candy bar. Ruined many sawsall blades on that little sucker!

Alright then as long as some form of engineering was involved then I'm good with that. I just hate to see people screw random crap to the trim without thinking about what they are doing. There is the right way and then there is the cheap way. Good job on that project 2dr!

• Like 1