Fan Clutch

Trogdor636

Does anyone else have a loud fan clutch? You can hear mine no matter what. I can start it in the morning, and be 500 feet out of my parking spot and it already is crazy loud. Its not stuck, but it sure does seem a bit off. Wondering if its a common VG30 trait, or if I should grab one from my Pick N Pull next time they have some Pathfinders in there.

Fan clutches fail all the time on many vehicles. The VG fan clutches tend to go funky after a while too. The best solution is to buy another one from Nissan or one from NAPA. I don't recommend getting one from a junkyard because it may not work for long after you put it in.

FYI: NAPA Temp Products fan clutch, $60

Edited by Tungsten

With the motor off, it seems like any other fan clutch. Nothing lose, no binding, its just loud. I wasnt planning on buying one from a JY to replace, I was gonna compare. I may just end up buying one since nobody else seems to complain they have a mini jet engine sound coming from under the hood.

Mine sounded like a mega-jet. I replaced it with one from the pick-a-part. I'm not sure how much quieter it really is since I basically haven't driven it yet, but it no longer makes a terrible screeching noise at high RPM. If I wasn't already at the pick-a-part I would have just bought a new one though. Maybe I still will if it isn't much quieter in general.

Mine seemed to always make noise too in the summer. It also roars for a minute or two when I start it up cold. It seemed ok when inspecting it with engine off. I changed it anyway with a new unit and I have the same situation as before except my wallet is $50 lighter.

James

You can go e-fan but I don't recommend it if you are using the stock alternator. Just get a fan clutch that works and that will be the best price to performance buy.

Actually I have a Maxima alternator sitting in my garage, I just need to swap pulleys. E-fan is something that can wait, I need shocks, 17 years have taken their toll on my electronic ones. :whistle: