Manual Hubs 1998 Pathfinder

AlbertaDave

I have been reading up on the manual hubs and I think maybe I know less then I did before. I just picked up the pathfinder yesterday and I was curious about the manual hubs. Is there any advantage to install them milage wise? Does it harm the transfercase with lack of oil pressure? Has anybody on this board done this mod?

Thanks.

I just did the mod a few weeks ago after spending a few months reading and I have to say it is totally worth it. I have noticed a decent improvement in millage - even after putting on one size bigger tires and with a small lift.

From what I read there would be no real concerns for the transfer case and it seems that most people on the forum have done it.

I am well versed in NewVenture transfecases as installed on most NorthAmerican made 4x4's. I don't know anything about the Nissan ones. On NV models, the oil pump is fed from the rear output and thus spins whether or not you are 4x4 or the front is engaged. I was reading another thread about the hubs and it looks like they decided that on long trips they would keep the hubs engaged. To me, that defeats the whole point of installing them. I have a shift on the fly Automatic 1998.

On the 1998 there shouldnt be any problems. I installed mine a few thousand miles ago and have notcied an increase in mpgs...about .75-2mpg increase. Easy to do. No worries about oil pressure or lack thereof in our model transfer case. Should be good to go :aok:

I found a milemarker set sitting on the shelf at work. I think I found a pretty good deal. We are closing off the line, so I was surprised to find the right ones in stock. I'll probably install this weekend.

It was ralativly easy. One of the easier things I have done. Took me just under two hours, would have been finished sooner but I had one stuborn stud.. (took a torx socket and a extension. Hammered on, turned off). I would have had enough thread to use the original studs, except I didn't have enough clearance to use a socket driver on the nuts. Yes.. I probably could have just used a wrench, but I felt better by using the new hex bolts. I actually did the right side without removing the wheel. It was a little snug trying to get the studs out though. By the time I got to the second side, I didn't feel like fighting with clearance anymore... took the tire off. Either way, not that bad.

Kind of assuming its working, it feels like it. Feels a little lighter in the front end driving with them unlocked. But I don't know enough about how Pathfinders are with and without, it would be easier to decipher if it was about 4 months from now when there is ice and snow everywhere. I haven't even owned the Pathfinder for a week and I have done one mod already. :) I think the CB radio install is coming very soon.

Edited by AlbertaDave

Yeah turning will be alot easier now. I have had mine for about 2 years and never once had a problem. The great thing about the warns is you can get the fuse gears that will blow before your axle. And only take about 5 min to replace on the trail. But yeah nice truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine from amazon for $160. Looks like they're going for $155 now.

Amazon $155 Warn 29091 Manual Hubs

The only issue I had with mine was the grease in them somehow solidified in a couple of places making it no longer engage all the way, I thought they were engaging because they clicked but the wheel would almost feel like it was hopping. I took them apart, regreased them, put them on and it was still there so I thought it was the transfer case or front diff. But I just took them apart again this weekend and found the rock hard grease in a couple of the teeth, popped it out with a toothpick, cleaned them well, regreased and problem solved. Great product and my mileage has gone up 2-3 mpg since putting them on so well worth if it you're putting any kind of mileage on your rig.

This is probably a silly question but, from 4x4parts:

1990-2004 Hardbody, Pathfinder, Frontier, Xterra with 3.0 or 3.3 liter engines

I have a 2003 with the 3.5 liter engine.

From Warn's site:

Pickup '84-86.5 I 26 29087 29061

Pickup, Pathfinder '86.5-89 I 27 28739 29061

Pickup, 4 cylinder '90-93 I 27 28739 29061

Pickup (incl. Frontier), 4 cyl '94-01 I 28 29091 29061

Pickup (incl. Frontier), Pathfinder, 6 cyl '90-01 I 28 29091 29061

Xterra '00 I 28 29091 29061

What are my options for hubs? If this has been covered in the forums, and I missed it, I apologize for it.

Edited by wankerschnitzel

By using manual hubs you are basically going from a full time 4x4 to part time 4x4 system. The R50 front hubs come just locked from factory, which is not ideal but very idiot proof. It's comparable to driving with manual hubs always in the locked position. So even in 2WD your CVs are still spinning! With manual hubs, if you are driving in 2WD with the hubs unlocked then you are really in 2WD with 2WD handling and cornering. The only draw back to using manual hubs is you have to get out and lock them every time you switch to 4WD on the shifter.

This is probably a silly question but, from 4x4parts:

1990-2004 Hardbody, Pathfinder, Frontier, Xterra with 3.0 or 3.3 liter engines

I have a 2003 with the 3.5 liter engine.

From Warn's site:

Pickup '84-86.5 I 26 29087 29061

Pickup, Pathfinder '86.5-89 I 27 28739 29061

Pickup, 4 cylinder '90-93 I 27 28739 29061

Pickup (incl. Frontier), 4 cyl '94-01 I 28 29091 29061

Pickup (incl. Frontier), Pathfinder, 6 cyl '90-01 I 28 29091 29061

Xterra '00 I 28 29091 29061

What are my options for hubs? If this has been covered in the forums, and I missed it, I apologize for it.

28 spline

I'm curious.

2000 QX4 (Aug 1999 build date).

This has what I think would be the "All Mode" transfer Case.

I'm pulling up info that says this may not be an option for us.

Possible damage to this type of T-Case using manual hubs?

Not really interested in better milage, this rig is rather large & heavy anyway.

Sure wouldn't mind taking some of the wear & tear off the front driveline components though.

I'm curious.

2000 QX4 (Aug 1999 build date).

This has what I think would be the "All Mode" transfer Case.

I'm pulling up info that says this may not be an option for us.

Possible damage to this type of T-Case using manual hubs?

Not really interested in better milage, this rig is rather large & heavy anyway.

Sure wouldn't mind taking some of the wear & tear off the front driveline components though.

You just can't run the "Auto" setting with the hubs disengaged.