fan related squeal

sewebster

Squeal when engine revved above 3500 rpm or so. If I take the fan off it does not happen, so it's either the fan clutch or the extra load on the belt causing it to slip? Belt tension doesn't change anything... belt is new... I guess I either try a different belt or sand my pulleys? Or could the clutch make this sound?

As an aside, wow are things ever quieter with the fan out :) Also figured out a sticking EGR valve is the cause of my sometimes poor idle (hence the vice grips on the vacuum line in the vid).

Squeal when engine revved above 3500 rpm or so. If I take the fan off it does not happen, so it's either the fan clutch or the extra load on the belt causing it to slip? Belt tension doesn't change anything... belt is new... I guess I either try a different belt or sand my pulleys? Or could the clutch make this sound?

As an aside, wow are things ever quieter with the fan out :) Also figured out a sticking EGR valve is the cause of my sometimes poor idle (hence the vice grips on the vacuum line in the vid).

Have you checked any of the other belts? Alternator or A/C powersteering belts etc...

KM

Have you checked any of the other belts? Alternator or A/C powersteering belts etc...

KM

There are only two belts. One for the power steering and one for the alternator and water pump. I removed the fan itself and the PS belt. No squeal. Put the PS belt back on. No squeal. Put the fan back on. Squeal. Both belts are reasonably tensioned and neither is pooched. I tried tightening and loosening the alternator/water pump belt (the fan attaches to the water pump pulley) and it didn't help.

Edited by sewebster

you try it with fan on, p/s belt off just to 100% eliminate that as the culpret?

No, partly because that is somewhat inconvenient (would have to remove fan again to put the belt back on) but mostly because it seems extremely unlikely that the fan would affect the PS belt since it isn't connected to it at all. I guess it's remotely possible that the load from the fan on the one belt changes how the bottom pulley stack rotates and causes the other belt to squeal, but sounds pretty far out :) I guess if someone's life depended on it I would do a more rigorous experiment but...

I kinda just want to pony up the dough for a good e-fan, but the flex-a-lite one is like $350. I could get something out of the pick a part. I guess I should do some more reading on here to figure out how compatible some of them are.

Sounds like your fan clutch is locked up or worn out. Mine started doing that and it had a large amount of lateral play in it. It would squawk like that when you were accelerating.

Sounds like your fan clutch is locked up or worn out. Mine started doing that and it had a large amount of lateral play in it. It would squawk like that when you were accelerating.

Mine isn't locked up and doesn't have play, but maybe it's the problem. I'm headed to the pick a part next weekend anyway, so I guess I'll see if I can get another one and see if that fixes it... otherwise it has to be a belt (or pulley).

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by sewebster

How tight are you getting the belt? Are you maxed out? Our belts due tend to run on the tighter side. You can give the fan a spin by hand and see if its binding/not moving at all.

With the fan disconnected, the belt does not seem to require much tension to not squeal. With the fan connected I had it almost maxed out and it still squealed.

I can rotate the fan easily by hand. When it is hot it is still easy to move by hand but it is stiffer (as expected).

• 1 month later...