ECU Replacement

Yes.

Good deal. I bought it taking a risk. I'm going to install it just to see it it makes any difference at all in the way my truck runs. My fuel mileage is complete crap compared to some of the numbers you guys claim to get so I'm curious of this other ECU will make any difference at all. I'll more than likely send the stock on in to get reprogrammed. I plan on getting new cams too so I'll have it programmed for them and the exhaust. Hopefully it will be worth every penny.

Ok so let me add to this "yes" answer. Yes it will work but make sure you aren't putting a Cali ECU into a non Cali truck like I did. It's pulling a 35 on the computer cause I don't have that part in my truck!!!! :headwall:

Ok so now my next question is what do I need to look for in the vin to find out if the truck is a California truck?

One more question. does the ECU effect how your auto trans shifts? When I put the Cal ECU in I noticed a difference in the way my trans shifted. It felt better. Now that I put my old one back in it's back to it's abnormal shift points. Am I high or could it have made a difference?

The transmission has it's own computer--- TCU. It's located in the rear right quarter panel in cargo area just above the wheel hump. It does the shifting I think. I converted my 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive and I'm still using the 2wd ecu with no problem. I cannot comment on it affecting shift points though.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

The 95 ECU is different from a 91 because it incorporates a "Vehicle Speed Sensor" and it uses a different oxygen sensor on top of that. The way you can tell if it's a California model is to look if the EGR system has a temperature probe for EGR monitoring because all California models have a monitored EGR system.

Edited by Tungsten

Anything with a mechanical speedometer, an MPFI setup, and the small 12mm O2 sensor. I'm thinking anything between 1990 and 1995 and not the California models.

Edited by Tungsten

Since I'm hunting in the wrecking yard for an ECU most the trucks are without an engine and have everything pulled from the dash. How can I tell if it's a Cali truck based on the vin? Also what years did they start putting in the round dashes. Everything they had in the yard when I went had the round dash style. Not the square one like my 91 has.

I think you may be able to get away with a late model ECU but you will probably need a different O2 sensor. Not sure as to how the ECU will respond to no VSS. Make sure there is no monitoring set-up on the EGR.

Edited by Tungsten

Vehicle Speed Sensor, the round dashes have electric speedometers

Even my 87 has a VSS, it is on the back of the speedometer. The round dash started in 94. I think the harness for the ecu will be different than you 91.

James

Even my 87 has a VSS, it is on the back of the speedometer. The round dash started in 94. I think the harness for the ecu will be different than you 91.

James

Exactly, how do you think the cruise would work without a vss

James

The harness is the same. I have a newer one that plugged right in.

The harness is the same. I have a newer one that plugged right in.

Ok then you could compare the wiring diagrams of a 94 and your 91 to make sure all the pins are the same. Unfortunately there are no 91 FSM floating around. The second thing you could do is cross your fingers and plug it in.

James

I've noticed no difference without the VSS wired in other than the cruise control won't work. Driveability hasn't changed any.

The little differences *shouldn't* matter much when it comes to the ECU. MY1PATH is running a Cali ECU in his Federal Pathfinder and the only downside is the CEL is on due to there not being an exhaust temp sensor. The O2 sensor being different would likely cause an issue though unless you rewire if need be. You can check the wiring diagrams and pin out to see if they are the same.

The speedometer on the round dash style is controlled by the sending unit/sensor on the transfer case, which interchanges with the cable style.

A lot of sensors are not important to how the engine runs. Jim Wolf has a diagram on their web site of how to strip down a maxima wiring harness to run a VQ30DE in an alternate application like sand rail or other off road vehicle. If you compare their diagram to the similar diagram in the maxima FSM they deleted almost half the wiring.

I called them to ask how the ECU would like missing all these sensors and if they somehow reprogrammed the ECU to not need them. I was told the engine will run the same with or without these sensors. It will store codes but most people that put an engine like this in an alternate vehicle doesn't connect a check engine light. Only problem would be sorting through the extra codes if you had a driveability problem.

Back to your problem, if you want to send your original ECU to get reprogrammed and the truck will run on the extra ECU you have now, just use it like that till your original gets back.

James

A lot of sensors are not important to how the engine runs. Jim Wolf has a diagram on their web site of how to strip down a maxima wiring harness to run a VQ30DE in an alternate application like sand rail or other off road vehicle. If you compare their diagram to the similar diagram in the maxima FSM they deleted almost half the wiring.

I called them to ask how the ECU would like missing all these sensors and if they somehow reprogrammed the ECU to not need them. I was told the engine will run the same with or without these sensors. It will store codes but most people that put an engine like this in an alternate vehicle doesn't connect a check engine light. Only problem would be sorting through the extra codes if you had a driveability problem.

Back to your problem, if you want to send your original ECU to get reprogrammed and the truck will run on the extra ECU you have now, just use it like that till your original gets back.

James

Cool PDF James!

So it seems like the sensors you "need" are:

-O2

-TPS

-coolant temp

-MAF

-crank position

I tried the one I have out of the 95 (cali) and it ran good until it warmed up. Then it acted like it was flooding. I'd hit the gas and it would bog way down. If I floored it, it would eventually clear up and take off.

i was wrong about the VSS, it's actually a little black thing attached inside the mechanical speedometer

it appears to me that the only difference is in the o2 sensor (and temp monitor for EGR on cali ECUs)

your issue may be coming from the different o2 sensor

Edited by Tungsten