Fuel Injector servicing

Cuong Nguyen

I have been forever been working on my VG33 replacement motor and finally was able to tear down the needed parts off the old VG30. Being that I having well over 200+K miles, and various running issues with it, I decided it was worth my while to have my fuel injectors cleaned and tested. I located a two places that did injector cleaning locally and went with injectorrx.com. They charge $18 per injector and you get them cleaned and flow tested. I also learned a lot about the injectors from the owner as well. I found out that these injectors are notorious for corroding and not work properly. That was the case with my #1 injector. It did not work at all.

Here are my injectors before cleaning:

P1030953.jpg

After:

ee647e4c.jpg

Printout of the testing:

b657c9a5.jpg

Interesting. It appears that in a modified vG33 the vG30 injectors will not be capable of sufficient flow, and will be just barely adequate in a stock vg33. It looks like 22-25#/hr injectors are needed.

Where are these guys and what was the 'turn around' time and cost ?

These guys are located here in Houston, TX. Turnaround time is about 1-2 days. Just check out their website. www.injectorrx.com

Interesting. It appears that in a modified vG33 the vG30 injectors will not be capable of sufficient flow, and will be just barely adequate in a stock vg33. It looks like 22-25#/hr injectors are needed.

The VG30 injectors is sufficient if you keep the upper intake assembly as the throttle body and MAF of the VG30 will restrict air intake. If you retain the VG33 intake assembly then you'll need to keep the VG33 injectors. I have not found the actual flow rate of the VG33 injectors yet.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

I asked the guys at the shop and they think the VG33 injectors are larger to compensate for the larger displacement. The idea of the two injectors being the same as flow rating goes has been floating around the internet for some time but there hasn't been any evidence being so. I don't really feel like dropping $120 just to test the VG33 injectors and have to find out first hand like that.

Well got an email back from a few mainstream injector cleaning services and both have said that the VG30 and VG33 flow the same and have the same resistance. Very interesting.

They both, (JS23-4 & JS20-1) flow the same and have the same resistance.

Regards,

Gordon

WitchHunter Performance / Injector Services

206-919-0794

These are the flow rates i have:

JS 20-1 = 200cc / 12 ohm / square plug

JS 23-4 = 200cc / 12 ohm / oval plug

JS 40-1 = 270cc / 12 ohm / square plug

Rob Haack

Motor Man Fuel Injection

6246 W. Weidman Rd Weidman, MI 48893

www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com

Well that settles everything! The JS40-1 are the D21 4 banger injectors.

Well got an email back from a few mainstream injector cleaning services and both have said that the VG30 and VG33 flow the same and have the same resistance. Very interesting.

Well that settles everything! The JS40-1 are the D21 4 banger injectors.

So what year did the D21 4 banger have multi port injection? Every one I find in the pick a part has a throttle body injection.

James

So what year did the D21 4 banger have multi port injection? Every one I find in the pick a part has a throttle body injection.

James

I'm pretty sure it's only the california model that's fuel injected. I'm not really familiar with the 4 bangers. Z and K series.

I think it would be easy to mistake a TBI body with a carb. They look very similar with the exception that there are 2 injectors in the throat of the TBI. I too have never heard of or come across a 4 banger with a carb. Is there any reference to such a beast in the FSM or in a Haynes or Chilton manual?

I'm pretty sure it's only the california model that's fuel injected. I'm not really familiar with the 4 bangers. Z and K series.

The Z24I is both carburated and TBI. The KA24E is MPFI but the earlier models were TBI as well.

Edited by Kingman

The Z24I is both carburated and throttle body injected. The KA24E is MPFI.

That implies that 240sx's can also be donors for these...

only 1995 and early 1996 4cyl Hardbodys had mpfi

Edited by RJSquirrel

That implies that 240sx's can also be donors for these...

only 1995 and early 1996 4cyl Hardbodys had mpfi

Also 90 to 92 stanza had a KA24 mpfi. They have a 60mm throttle body too. The throttle cable is on the wrong side just like the 240 though.

James

My thoughts exactly?

Would they fit in our fuel rail ?

would we have to mod the ECU to take advantage of the extra capacity?

Definitely have to tune the ECU for the increased flow. I'm going to have to watch the pick a part for stanza's, injectors are $5 apiece. They have a 93 Q45 right now, I may have to go raid that. They have a 92 G20 but I would think it would have a 2.0L not 2.4L.

James

I went raid the pick a part today. Both stanza's they had were already missing injectors but they have 12 altimas with 2.4 DOHC. I pulled an injector from one and tried to pull one from a pathfinder to compare the differences but it started raining on me. So I took the one injector with me and compared it at home.

I don't have the rail off of my parts truck so I compared it to the 3.3 quest rail.

The injectors are made different but looks like it would seal in the 3.3 rail, just need a different style cap. It sticks out the bottom a little too but I don't think that would hurt anything.

001cropped.jpg002cropped.jpg

Maybe a rail from another VG would work better.

James

• 2 weeks later...

I brought 3 more injectors to the shop to get cleaned. One of them was leaking but was fixed after it was cleaned. They are now good as new! It's hard to tell if your injectors are working properly without removing them from the engine and testing them. Getting them cleaned will save you a lot of money down the road and bring back performance of the motor. Worth every penny considering the power output of our motor.