ALTERNATOR QUESTION

madmax

Well my altimeter bounces, all lights flash. the whole electrical system is effected. The gauge only moves about a .5 volts at a time. I don't think is a spark issue as it doesn't seem to change with rpm. I've checked belt and connections and it's a 4 or 5 month old alt. Any ideas?

Am I the only one confused by this explanation? :shrug:

What does an altimeter (used for measuring altitude) have to do with an alternator? Voltmeter maybe what you meant?

All lights flash when? If your alternator is not charging, your whole electrical system will be effected.

The lights flash when they are on. I only metioned the lights to help explain whats goin on. The voltage meter bounces all the time. The alternator IS charging.

Ammeter maybe? Although, if you had an altimeter, and your electrical system was pulsing, it would probably bounce around too.

If it's not tied to RPM, then I don't see how your alternator would cause it. Check the voltage regulator?

Is it a steady flash, or a flicker?

Edited by Slartibartfast

Where'd you get the alty from and does it have a warranty? I'd get it tested as I'm guessing you got one that didn't exactly hold togher too well (new parts fail all the time).

Thanks everyone. Bad bearing. This is the fourth one on this warranty at orileys. This was the first one the regulator didn't go out on. Get a new one tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. Bad bearing. This is the fourth one on this warranty at orileys. This was the first one the regulator didn't go out on. Get a new one tomorrow.

I had your exact same problems fifteen years ago with a van that I used to own. Except I only had to install them three times. :thumbsdown:

No, it doesn't even take an hour to swap them out and the guys down there are always willing to help me out. It's just not worth the trouble.

Ain't worth it then if the place gives you actual help. (and yea, wd21s are a cake swap, but sometimes it's not the time it takes. It's the principal)