Ball joints

Hi all,

Did a search came up with a little info, ball joints any preferred brand.

Moog, ac, couple of others. Any one have any horror stories about mid priced ($50 to $60) range replacements.

Also any brands with grease fittings ?

Mine are about shot.

I just researched the crap out of Balljoints, I came across Raybestos Professional brand. Every post Ive read had recommended them over anything else, and they have zerk fittings as well.

The Moog professional brand was also a good choice, but the overwhelming consensus I came across was the Raybestos Professional brand.

I just ordered some actually from Rockauto.com(found it to be the cheapest), if you go that route, use the promo code for NPORA(it should be located in the NPORA vendor section).

Edited by feyded

I personally use moog, very high quality.

OEM is probably best for the price/quality if you plan on just driving the truck on city roads like a normal person.

I got the Moog ball joints because of the lifetime warranty... which I will have to use frequently I'm sure, since the zerk fitting on them is completely useless. There is about 2 mm of clearance to grease them...

the zerk fitting on them is completely useless. There is about 2 mm of clearance to grease them...

Do it when the tire is off??

Nope you would have to replace them with a 90 to clear the bottom of the axle.

Yup! Look at this @!*%. I almost want to write Moog and chew them out for not testing the application. Without going out to get a 90 degree zerk I'd have to slide the axle right out of the hub to grease it.

20110613155157629.jpg

I have some similar problems with (non-moog) tie rod ends on my wd21. I need to learn to do better checks before I get it all put back together in the future. You can get a box of miscellaneous zerk fittings for a couple bucks. I guess I'm not sure if the threads are a universal standard.

Yup! Look at this @!*%. I almost want to write Moog and chew them out for not testing the application. Without going out to get a 90 degree zerk I'd have to slide the axle right out of the hub to grease it.

20110613155157629.jpg

OUCH!! I didnt think of you 4wd guys...

Mine is 2wd, no axle in the way, just a big open space... thats a horrible design as mnost of these trucks are 4wd

Actually just installed my Raybestos Professional Grade Ball joints, these things are much thicker(heavier duty) than the stock ball joints I pulled off. To be honest though, 2/4 of the ball joints I pulled off were still good(24 year old ball joints), and I replaced all the stock ones that HAD zerks on them with sealed units.. which to me seems incredibly dumb, but I have faith I suppose in the Raybestos holding up(as well as being able to grease them with a needle)..

Just thought Id share my experience with the Raybestos.