ECU swap

ejin4499

According to other posts in this thread, the ECU, MAF, TPS and O2 swap from a M30 has the potential to smooth out your power delivery and improve performance some. This is what I'm looking for and am hoping that the OP might have further details about how his swap went.

This is what the M30 ECU swap is known for.

According to other posts in this thread, the ECU, MAF, TPS and O2 swap from a M30 has the potential to smooth out your power delivery and improve performance some. This is what I'm looking for and am hoping that the OP might have further details about how his swap went.

So far the project has stalled out. I have had an idle issue that I wanted to nail down for sure before I tried making any major mods to wiring. Basically I've been through the manual but my idle is still unstable sometimes. I've been able to smooth out 90% of the issue and I'm about ready to start the swap for my winter project.

M30 ECUs are far better than any previous Nissan ECU. Consult, adapt to changes rapidly, extremely, more capable of running the engine smoother, easier to install Nistune, etc.

Now, the Z32 ECU is the most powerful Nissan computer produced. People have those running blown V8 drag cars.

The J30 should be the same ECU as a Z32 right? It has the VG30DE. The local pick a part has a 93, 94, and a 95 right now. Think they would be worth grabbing?

James

The J30 should be the same ECU as a Z32 right? It has the VG30DE. The local pick a part has a 93, 94, and a 95 right now. Think they would be worth grabbing?

James

I would think so. If it is it probably has different fuel and throttle maps.

Not really sure, something to look into though.

I would think so. If it is it probably has different fuel and throttle maps.

Not really sure, something to look into though.

I went to the pick a part and pulled a J30 ECU and took some pictures then came home and compared them to pictures on the web. It looks like the same case but the board is different. The Z32 board has the removable eprom and has wires going to another half sized board also mounted in the case. The J30 board doesn't have the removable eprom, just the 40 pin blank for adding in a daughter board. So the J30 doesn't look like another option. This ECU was from a 95, an older model might be different.

Here is the J30 ECU

J30ECU3.jpg

And a pic off the web of a Z32 ECU

DSC_0002-1_2.jpg

James

• 5 months later...

James

IF I'm not mistaken the vg30DE is distributor less and some cars even had variable valve timing. Because of this the J30 will not work because the DOHC ecu will not run the SOHC engine without some very custom electrical and custom conversion parts. (just as involved as getting the z32 to run a v8)

IF I'm not mistaken the vg30DE is distributor less and some cars even had variable valve timing. Because of this the J30 will not work because the DOHC ecu will not run the SOHC engine without some very custom electrical and custom conversion parts. (just as involved as getting the z32 to run a v8)

I did some research. Its actually easier than I thought (still harder than an m30 swap) there is a guy on z31p who is running his z31 (vg30et) using a z32 (vg30dett) ecu. you keep the dizzy just to use the CAS and wire in 6 coils of you choice directly to z32 ecu. The variable valve timing is obviously left disconnected but will not throw and error codes or effect performance. Running Nistune with this setup is highly recommended so you can adapt fuel maps designed for 24valve heads to our more conservative 12valve heads.

Infiniti M30 VG30E specs:

162 hp (121 kW) and 180 lb·ft (244 N·m) torque

Nissan WD21 VG30E specs:

153 hp (114 kW) and 180 lb·ft (244 N·m) torque

Assuming the ECU is the only real difference, you can gain about 9 HP with the ECU swap on a stock truck. That's probably at higher RPM too and it won't be noticeable. I'm not saying you can't tune it later on though. It's a great swap if it accommodates other mods like intake and exhaust. Then it just might make a difference over the stock ECU if you have the resources to program it.

Edited by Tungsten

This is extremely interesting to me. I have a z32 I will be playing with soon, and that is very cool to learn it has a removable eprom. But more to the point this m30 ecu swap... I have a vg33 swap with intake headers and 2.5 exhaust and soon to be 3.0 Cams and a z31 turbo. I am looking into tuning options to make this 3.3 turbo pathy possible and the m30 nistune combo sounds perfect... please keep updated to how this swap turns out.

Infiniti M30 VG30E specs:

162 hp (121 kW) and 180 lb·ft (244 N·m) torque

Nissan WD21 VG30E specs:

153 hp (114 kW) and 180 lb·ft (244 N·m) torque

Assuming the ECU is the only real difference, you can gain about 9 HP with the ECU swap on a stock truck. That's probably at higher RPM too and it won't be noticeable. I'm not saying you can't tune it later on though. It's a great swap if it accommodates other mods like intake and exhaust. Then it just might make a difference over the stock ECU if you have the resources to program it.

the Z and Maxima also produced 160 HP. The runner length/ intake manifold is also a big difference.

I'm expecting 15+ out of this vs my TBI because it will make better use of my existing mods.

I'm picking up my manifold next week so I can lay everything out and begin re-wrapping my harness in a way that complements the Pathy intake.

Just curious if I were to get an engine from say a z31 and I had the matching ecu what kind of wiring would be needed to be done. Wouldnt it just run off the old ecu apart from the other work like mounting the engine, hooking up the fuel and cooling lines. Would it just be a few wires that need to be done?

Just curious if I were to get an engine from say a z31 and I had the matching ecu what kind of wiring would be needed to be done. Wouldnt it just run off the old ecu apart from the other work like mounting the engine, hooking up the fuel and cooling lines. Would it just be a few wires that need to be done?

Are you asking if its Plug and Play?

It is not.

You will have to Re-pin the wires in the harness to match the M30 ECU and run an M30 Titania 02 sensor, and M30 MAF. Shielded power lines for the Variable fuel pump circuit will also have to be run unless you run the pump independently on a fixed voltage.

Then engine itself is no different. If your due for a replacement yes it will make a good donor but so would a vg33. and Mr.510 has turned that into a very easy process with a little adapter hub he designed.

I meant a z31 engine with a z31 ecu or just the idea of using the same ecu the donor engine came from. Isnt that how they run engines in a dyno?

Edited by Leo94