Question about nissan hardbody manual locking hubs

JamesRich

While surfing through the pick a part today I found a 95 hard body with factory manual hubs. I engaged the driver side and the axle turned but when I engaged the passenger side the axle would not turn. The truck looked like it had been a long time since it had seen any 4 wheeling use, could the locking pawl be stuck inside? The hub had hit against something at one time and kind of smeared the writing on it but the knob turned back and forth freely so I doubt it's damaged.

Also with this truck being a 95 it won't fit on my 87, can I order parts for these thing like replacing the part that splines on the axle? If not then I can always swap the axles from my 94 parts truck right?

James

I went back and got them. The one that wouldn't engage was dry inside and sticking, after I took them off it started working. They are pretty nasty but should clean up.

Lockinghubs2.jpg

Lockinghubs1.jpg

Anyone ever take these all apart? There has to be some kind of seal for the knob, and the bearings on the clutch Assembly drive on the one that was dry sounds a little ruff when I spin it. I can see the ball bearings and they don't look ate up so it may just need to be greased but I would want to clean them well then try to regrease them.

The truck had a 4 cyl but they are definitely 28 spline. I can get a replacement clutch Assembly drive in 27 spline from courtesy but they are $85 a piece. I would come out cheaper just getting mile markers.

James

You could always sell em to someone here, or talk to unccpathfinder... He has a 28 spline front end in a 2 door. He could tell you 100% what you need to swap from your 94 parts truck.

• 1 year later...

I traded them with another member for 27 splines. I watch the pick a part pretty close, if any more show up I'll grab them. The 28 splines are rare. I have 3 pairs of 27 splines now but only found that one set of 28 splines.

James

Trade u my 27 spline manual OEM hubs...NM..a day late and dollar short

But for reference you would have to change out the spindles, CVS, wheel bearings and steering components since the tapers r different...the Cv diameters r different causing this

Edited by unccpathfinder