Manual Hubs = Better gas mileage? Plz Explain : )

Hi there, I recently bought a 2001 Pathfinder SE 3.5l automatic 4x4. I'm new to the 4x4 game so this may be a dumb question...but I`m not exactly sure how everything works throught a 4x4 drivetrain.

I am looking for better gas mileage and I have heard that installing manual hubs increases gas mileage. Why is this? I leave my truck in 2wd 95% of the time...would this not be the same thing as driving with manual hubs unlocked? Also, what kind of gas mileage improvement can I expect to see with this modification?

side note - since i bought the truck I have installed a k&n intake and magnaflow exhaust. I get roughly 30-50kms more per tank after these mods! I would like to do the manual hubs if it indeed improves gas mileage noticably..

thanks!

I have heard people getting 2mpg more with manual hubs. The reason is, is that r50s have full time drive flanges so the front diff/cvs/shaft, is always turning. Versus with manual hubs set to off, you don't have all that stuff to turn unless you lock the hubs.

Ask and ye shall receive, courtesy of the R50 pinned topics ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25855

but take heed of Fleurys post (#16)...check which transfer case you have.

From what I understand, our generation pathfinder when driving in 2wd is like driving in 4hi..the front axle is still spinning and such, hence the increase in mpgs, as the manual hubs completly disengage the axle and it drives like a 2wd truck would (other members correct if im wrong). Anyhoo, let us konw how it goes

and...

:thisthreadisworthless:

I installed them on my R50 to reduce the wear and tear on the CV axels. I can not claim any fuel mileage gain as I installed them whith the lift. I can, however, claim that my mpg's did not change with the use of larger tires and raised suspension.

I have heard people getting 2mpg more with manual hubs. The reason is, is that r50s have full time drive flanges so the front diff/cvs/shaft, is always turning. Versus with manual hubs set to off, you don't have all that stuff to turn unless you lock the hubs.

Okay, this makes sense...less power used to spin the entire drivetrain. Thanks!

Searchfunction.gif

This made me LOL even tho it was making fun of me : ) All good! I did try searching first but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Pics to come later of the intake, exhaust...ooo and the trans cooler I installed.

Ask and ye shall receive, courtesy of the R50 pinned topics ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25855

but take heed of Fleurys post (#16)...check which transfer case you have.

From what I understand, our generation pathfinder when driving in 2wd is like driving in 4hi..the front axle is still spinning and such, hence the increase in mpgs, as the manual hubs completly disengage the axle and it drives like a 2wd truck would (other members correct if im wrong). Anyhoo, let us konw how it goes

and...

:thisthreadisworthless:

Ask and you shall receive : ) http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=30261

This made me LOL even tho it was making fun of me : ) All good! I did try searching first but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Pics to come later of the intake, exhaust...ooo and the trans cooler I installed.

you got a useful response and a link, you have to take the smart azz comments afterwards... And some of us got plenty to spare!