how to fix rust?

Chicano2005

so i just sold my system and wanna use that money to fix my rust.

and i dont know exactly what tools i need.

ITS SURFACE RUST it has not gone through!

can anyone help me? sandpaper, primer, etc....

If it's just surface rust you can sand it down to the metal and apply a rust preventive product, I just picked up a bottle of OSPHO from Ace HArdware, a quart is like $15,

http://www.ospho.com/

I used some on my Sentra, the areas that had rust after the OSPHO turned a black color but you have to be careful because areas that I used it near paint it took the paint off and than that area rusted. Years ago I used a spray I think it was called extend from permatex on my 87 Hardbody, on the 87 I had a rust area on the front edge of the bed, I used a wire wheel in a drill and took all the rust off to the metal sprayed the extend on and it turned the metal black, but the nice part was the rust never spread after that.

Their are other products for rust that have good reviews, POR is one of them but POR is more of a coating that covers the metal so no rust will get to it and it has been said that treating a piece of metal with POR, the metal should be treated on both sides. But I have no personal experience with POR.

You can probably use a wire brush and/or flap wheel on a grinder to get rid of all the rust and down to bare metal... then if you want it to look good you're looking at some bondo and then primer, paint, clear coat...

there are a few spots on the passenger side.

and about the paint, how hard is it to blend-in the paint?

ive seen some videos where they paint like half the car to be able to blend the paint evenly.

is that really necessary? my spots are 3in l/w at most.

sometimes it is necessary to blend the paint to match, even if the paint is the right paint code it may not match. I think blending needs to be done more on a older vehicle as the factory paint does fade from the sun and stuff. Your PF is a 99.5 so it is still 12 years old, some colors fade more than others. A decent shop will be able to mix up the paint to come really close to the color on the truck. But it would be harder to match if your thinking of painting it your self.

Where on your truck are the rust spots? If they are really low you may be able to paint the whole side up to the top of the rust area, like some people do with that bed liner material.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 1 month later...

sorry i had this thread forgotten.

ok, so now the rust went through. its mostly on the passenger side fender, up front at the corner light.

the other is down low at the running board. i know i need to cut off the rest of the rust but what type of

metal i need to replace it with?

im probably going to have to remove it and fix it inside my apartment.

If the fender is that bad it might be faster/easier/cheaper to just replace the whole fender rather than spending hours working on it. New fenders aren't too expensive.

most likely....

but ive seen them online just primered.

and i dont think they have r50s 99.5 and up.

or can i use the prefacelift fender?

also i want to learn how to do body work.

Edited by Chicano2005