Axle Swaps

94 Pathy

OK all you axle gear heads....

I'm stupid when it comes to these. Just a wild hair. If I end up swapping out the engine with a SB 350, would there be enough power to turn these & would they be worth picking up?

2.5 Ton GM military front & rear axles w/transfercase & steering. 6.66 gears & two driveshafts for $500.00.

Good deal or not?

Thanks for all your imput!

I'm pretty sure there is a guy in Florida running axles like that, not sure if they were identical though. IIRC he was running a VG30 so yeah, geared correctly with the appropriate size tire it should work.

B

The 2.5 rockwells will give you more power with the same engine because of the gearing, I hope you are thinking of making just a mud rig as the rockwells are really heavy for such a small rig. It can be done and work as 1 person on these boards has done it but It will not be the best trail rig if you do that it will be limited to full size trails.

Honestly, I wouldn't get them unless you are going to build a really big rig. The GM 2.5 tons are third member axles, not Rockwell Toploaders so you are going to have the same low clearance of any other axle. Parts are difficult to find for them such as lockers and such. They are heavier then sin also, so you are going to have a lot of dead weight under the rig. Make sure you get the transfer case also that you mentioned as the front axle spins in reverse so its useless without it.

Good luck with whatever you do.