Missing Spacer?

Dowser

Hey.

So after I redid my CV boots, replaced wheel bearings and seals and installed my Manual Hubs on the passenger side there was a point that I felt like I was missing something during the installation. But when I went thru every component I had, there was nothing missing. So on I went.

Then when I tore down the Drivers side, I noticed something that was not on the Passenger side. It was the Piece that I initially thought I should have had. It was a beveled Spacer that goes between the Wheel Side of the CV and the Back side of the Spindle on the Steering Knuckle where the Needle bearings are. It looks like this.

DSC00862.jpg

Now my question is this. This piece was NOT present on the Passenger side. I'm sure of this. I'm thinking it should be though. CV lateral movement is adjusted Via different snap ring thicknesses I think so this spacer has nothing to do with that, right? Just though I would ask even though it seems like a no brainer.

I wonder why there wasn't one on the passenger side. Hmmmmmmmm.

I remember this talked about here and I think some CVs use the spacer and some dont? If there is a spacer, reuse it, if not don't worry?? Use the spacer on the vehicle, not what the CV comes with? I just can't recall well enough and haven't done the job myself so I can't put it to rest for you.

The answer is here though... :tongue:

B

When I put a new CV on mine, it didn't come with a spacer and I didn't notice one on there already. I put it together and it was a nice tight fit with the same snap ring... I would say as long as it fits without a lot of play it should be good?

I don't think mine (the one side I've disassembled) has that spacer either. I wasn't paying a supreme amount of attention though. Does sound a little odd to have one side with and one without, unless you/someone has replaced only 1 CV in the past...

Well I'm happy to hear the general consensus is that its no biggie because I wasn't looking forward to taking it all apart again. Looks Like I'll just call it good then. Unless someone else chimes in screaming I'm going to kill myself in a vehicle wreak if I don't put one in. :rolleyes: