Speed sensor code and tranny acting strange.

adamzan

So twice in the last week my truck has started off in the limp mode when I went to leave in the morning. Today it happened again and I got a CEL with code 14 (vehicle speed sensor). The cruise stopped working after the light came on too. I cleared the code but it came back 5 min later. Weird thing is my speedo and odo work...So messed up!

Anyone have this happen before? The fsm AT diagnostics are confusing as hell. I really wanna just replace the sensor but my parts truck is a 93 with a cable :( grrr.

Oh I can get it out of fail safe mode by turning it off and then back on. But the question is why is my truck spitting out a speed sensor code and throwing the tranny in limp mode while it is parked over night? For the record I can get it out of limp mode and it will drive fine and the speedo still works I just have the CEL on and no cruise.

Edited by adamzan

My suggestion is to check the cluster, especially those connectors for corrosion. The VSS goes to the cluster and then to the ECU. The ECU compares the VSS reading to the throttle position sensor and sends that signal to the transmission computer.

• 1 year later...

I don't have any experience with the tranny being in safe mode but after I replaced my a month or so ago the speedo stopped working. Replaced the speed sensor 120.00 on rockauto and fixed it. Was easily one of the hardest sensors I've had to take out ended up drilling it out. New one has anti-seize!!

I did eventually get this fixed. It started just after I had my windshield replaced, turns out where the side trim bolts on, the little plastic threads that snap into the body were loose. Water gone in behind there and it ran down the pillar and I guess hit a connection point somewhere. Anyway I brought it back to the place and they put new clips in with sealant and it never happened again.