Installing 2" Lift

PaulyB

So I will be installing the AC lift, with new shocks and struts. Anything I need to beware of before I get started?

You'll need to get the rear axle up pretty high in order to drop one side low enough for the spring to just pop out. If you cant get it high enough, you could always drop it as far as you can and then compress them a bit.

For the front, there are probably gonna be a few stubborn bolts, use a jack under the control arm to relieve some tension and hopefully make them easier. The AC springs are a pain to compress (with manual compressors) enough to fit on the strut. If I ever do it again, i'd have a shop put the springs on with their compressor. Make sure you note the alignment of the strut mount and other hardware for proper re-installation.

Good luck! Take your time and be patient!

When i say the back springs, i mean how do i go about putting the new ones in?

Reverse of removal.

If the axle is dropped low enough just slide 'em in. If not, compress them, slide 'em in and remove compressors.

Wow, it seems that I am almost on schedule with PaulyB. I just picked up my strut bearings and mounts today from the local Nissan dealership. The rest of the kit is in the mail. I can't frikkin' wait!

man it seems like everybody is getting a lift now! :jig:

check out this link to my build --> http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29594

one tip, if youve never dealt with struts before, i recommend taking it to a shop to get done. i was going to do my struts but decided to have my mechanic do it, hes got an actual spring compressor machine. i bet it was alot easier then compressing by hand, which had to be done for the rears.

best of luck! post pics

Question on shocks in the rear...

Found some pro comp shocks on autopartswharehouse, only looking at them because its free shipping and 10% discount through Sunday, so I am getting my struts and mounts from them. Wondering if anyone runs pro comp shocks, I know it says they are intended for 0 inches of lift, but does 2 inches make a world of difference?? I wouldn't think so... please correct me if I am wrong.

Had my lift installed last weekend too, for $200 in labor I just had the shop do it. OME HD 928 up front with KYB struts, OME 922 and KYB gas adjust in back. About 1.75 in lift. Rides like a truck, firmer and more controlled...not bouncy and mushy like it was before. Love it.

Struts and mounts, just waiting for this upcoming paycheck to get the springs and shocks! :) So Tuesday couldn't come any faster of course. Maybe pops will just gimme 500 bucks. That would be nice! :laugh:

Question on shocks in the rear...

Found some pro comp shocks on autopartswharehouse, only looking at them because its free shipping and 10% discount through Sunday, so I am getting my struts and mounts from them. Wondering if anyone runs pro comp shocks, I know it says they are intended for 0 inches of lift, but does 2 inches make a world of difference?? I wouldn't think so... please correct me if I am wrong.

I am running ProComp shocks in the rear and so is 01SilvaPathy (He recommended them to me and they work great!) Yes 2 inches of lift makes a difference. If you get a shock that is too short, it will over extend the shocks(which equates to a very noisy ride driving on rough pavement). I drove like this on factory length shocks for a week before it bothered me so much i bought procomps. And on the other hand, you dont want to get a shock that is too long. The ones i bought are i beleive 29" extended and 15" compressed, which for right now works for me.

hope this helps. check out my thread i posted earlier, lots of info in it.

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

I went with the AC 2" springs, KYB GR-2 struts, Rancho RS5000 shocks, alignment screws/pins, Warn manuals, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawler black steels, and 31x10.5's Goodyear Duratracks. Looks like the install will take place this Sunday. I'll post before/after pics when it's complete.

Hi!

Linked here from nissanforums. :)

96 Pathfinder. Just ordered the OME lift from Rocky Road. Without the KYB GR2 = $525 shipped.

Unlike 4x4parts, they say with the OME lift, you don't need the $60 in camber bolts...

Not sure if my Pathy has the right backspace. Have only owned it for a few days....just knew for sure that it needed to suspension after 202k on her.

1996Pathfinder.jpg

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

96 Pathfinder. Just ordered the OME lift from Rocky Road. Without the KYB GR2 = $525 shipped.

Unlike 4x4parts, they say with the OME lift, you don't need the $60 in camber bolts...

Not sure if my Pathy has the right backspace. Have only owned it for a few days....just knew for sure that it needed to suspension after 202k on her.

1996Pathfinder.jpg

post pics when you complete the lift

Hi!

1996Pathfinder.jpg

You probably don't know how lucky you are, but that front bumper sir is very rare.

Also, backspace is only of concern if you want to run taller and wider tires, in which case having the proper backspace will prevent the tires from coming in contact with the struts.