Aftermarket Stereo and 6x9

Lije

Sorry if this has been posted before (I did a search and couldn't find anything) but I'm looking to put an aftermarket deck into my '98 and I was wondering which ones would fit.

The stock stereo is very large and I'm having trouble finding decks with those dimensions. Will a regular, smaller deck work with some sort of cover over the large gap it would leave?

Also, I have 2 6x9s from my old vehicle that I was hoping I could put in the pathfinder. Anyone know of any writeups on how to swap out factory ones for the bigger 6x9? I was kinda hoping to put them in the front doors but anywhere else would work I guess.

Thanks

Car stereos are pretty standardized....they're either SINGLE DIN or DOUBLE DIN. Sounds like yours is DD. My stero came stock as a single DIN + a little cubbyhole slot underneath the radio to fill in the space. You can choose either size single or double, your preference. If you go single, you can either put a blank plate to fill in the hole or I chose to fill the hole with a CB RADIO. Which ever you choose I recommend getting an aftermarket wire harness, makes instalation a breeze!

As far 6 x 9's go, you'd have to make slight modification to replace the stock ones. Ours came with 6.5" ROUND SPEAKERS. Heres a link I found using the SEARCH FUNCTION

c1e62e85.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Go to crutchfield.com, choose car audio, and enter your year, make, model info. Then you will see lots of options. Crutchfield has installation kits that drop right into your dash opening. The factory audio system is a double-din opening, but if you buy a single-din head unit, crutchfield supplies a dashboard storage compartment that fills in the extra space.

Crutchfield may not always have the largest selection or the best prices, but their online tools provide a good starting place to do research.

Car stereos are pretty standardized....they're either SINGLE DIN or DOUBLE DIN. Sounds like yours is DD. My stero came stock as a single DIN + a little cubbyhole slot underneath the radio to fill in the space. You can choose either size single or double, your preference. If you go single, you can either put a blank plate to fill in the hole or I chose to fill the hole with a CB RADIO. Which ever you choose I recommend getting an aftermarket wire harness, makes instalation a breeze!

As far 6 x 9's go, you'd have to make slight modification to replace the stock ones. Ours came with 6.5" ROUND SPEAKERS. Heres a link I found using the SEARCH FUNCTION

c1e62e85.jpg

Haha, "search function". A lot has changed in the last five years since that thread was active. :-)

Go to crutchfield.com, choose car audio, and enter your year, make, model info. Then you will see lots of options. Crutchfield has installation kits that drop right into your dash opening. The factory audio system is a double-din opening, but if you buy a single-din head unit, crutchfield supplies a dashboard storage compartment that fills in the extra space.

Crutchfield may not always have the largest selection or the best prices, but their online tools provide a good starting place to do research.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: Crutchfield has excellent service. If you have any issues installing or anything, you call them and they can usually help you fix it.

I had to get a dash mount thing for mine when i swapped the factory radio out. Nothing too complicated or expensive. As far as speakers, I need to replace mine, so I can't weigh in on that.

To summarise: Crutchfield=good

Dash adapter: needed in some models.

My 97 doesn't even have 6x9's, 4 6.5's instead, in each door. and stereo was super easy to install. 2 Phillips screws at bottom of the that middle dash piece. then when that piece is off 4 Phillips screws for the whole stereo chassis. REMOVE the negative battery terminal before for any work of course. I removed factory stereo in like 15 minutes. Also some pathys have a diversity stereo antenna, 2 prong. I had to buy a adapter, got on at wal mart online for 4 bucks. (Nissan dealership didn't even know what i was talking about!) diversity antenna is windshield and body mounted. whole time was like 25-30 minutes, But the GD Door speakers were a pain in the ass! That took 2 hours. Of course nothing lined up with he factory holes, they have little plastic adapter circles to add a bit of bass and stop vibrations from speaker to metal of the door.

The door cards super thin ply-paper was too easy to break removing the rubber holders, and of course the end wiring connections were ridiculous. I just cut them and wired it my self instead of looking for the correct factory style connectors.