My Shocks are Fully Extended

William

Hi all,

I am new to NPORA but very happy to be part of this forum with similar WD21 owners.

I recently upgraded my 1992 WD21 XE 4WD A/T with the following:

- 3" Body Lift (Peformance Accessories)

- 3" Suspension Lift (UCA + Rear Coils)

- Ball Joint Spacers

- RS5000 Steering Stabilizer (Rancho)

- Oil Filter Relocation Kit

- Open Air Intake Filter (Weapen-R)

- Calmini Torsion Bars

- M/T 15x10 Classic Lock II Wheels

- BfGoodrich 33x12.5R15 Tires

Immediately following the Suspension/Spacers upgrade, all my 4 Shocks became "fully extended". The

ride is very "uncomfortable", "stiff" and "bouncy" to say the least.

I informed the guys at 4x4Parts.com and asked if I needed to upgrade my Shocks.

They mentioned that my REAR shocks should be upgraded to longer ones as follows:

OLD: RS999118 (Upper Mount:L1, Lower Mount: L1, Compressed: 14.360", Extended: 22.19", Travel: 7.83")

NEW: RS999333 (Upper Mount:L1, Lower Mount: L1, Compressed: 15.190", Extended: 24.33", Travel: 9.14")

Whereas they said my FRONT ones are corret size and should not be changed:

OLD: RS999214 (Upper Mount:S42, Lower Mount: LS23, Compressed: 10.340", Extended: 14.5", Travel: 4.16")

It might be that the mechanic cranked the hell out of my Torsion Bars causing the front-end to stiffen

like a rock. The new rear shocks could potentially solve the stiffening of Rear-end.

I figured since I am buying new rear shocks, I should invest a little more and upgrade all 4 to

REMOTE RESERVOIR Shocks or better longer shocks.

Is it doable? Any brand/model numbers available for our WD21 nowadays?

What is the maximum COMPRESSED/EXTENDED length shocks should I put instead?

Any help is appreciated.

William

He was correct in saying the fronts are fine, but I would suggest new at all 4 corners anyway, just to have a complete matching set. Can sometimes find deals on sets of 4

The ride might feel stiffer for a couple of reasons. The rear Coils have a different spring rate then the factory coils and I believe they are quite a bit stiffer. This of course is going to give you a bit more of the harshness that is associated with that. As for the Front end, The Calmini T bars also have a higher spring rate so that in itself will lead to that, but also if the mechanic who was working on it, jacked the front end too much, you will have very little to no downward travel and the UCA's will be hitting the bumpstops all the time creating more harshness. You should have about about 1/2" + space between the bumpstops and the UCA's. If that poses a problem, you could order low profile bump stops but then your CV's are operating at angles that they don't particularly like very much and you could be tearing boots and busting CV's. If you go this route, Pick up the Front Differential Drop down bushing set from Automotive customizers. They offer a 3/8" drop on the front diff. Its not much by any means but it helps with the CV angle some.

As for the shocks, you dont have to go too fancy with the remote reservoir system, Because you'll be throwing your money away. The harshness in my opinion is 100% in the new spring rates. They will settle over time a little but they are stiffer none the less. To fix that you can buy yourself an ARB bumper for a Hardbody and modify it to fit a 3" Body lift, Then pick up a Winch and some lights. All the extra weight will help to alleviate some of that spring rate.

As for the Rear, has it got a Carrier? If it doesn't get one. And throw a full size spare on it, add some jerry cans, and buy or it make a Beefy Rear bumper. You'll lose a little of the lift in the rear but it will be a bit more comfortable. KMA or their new name, tactical armor or something like that, makes a rear bumper for our pigs.

Your next upgrade is going to Seriously need to be a steering system. That centerlink isn't going to like you at all and you're going to HATE him as well. Road manners will be disappearing soon. grassroots4x4.com or 4x4grassroots.com sells a beefed up version of our centerlinks. It's pricey shipping into Canada though, be advised.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the replies. It's been very enlightening :)

So I am now upto to new shocks I believe as a first step.

A) If I go with SKYJACKER, they recommend the following for our PF with Lift Height between 2"-4":

HYDRO

Front: H7054 (Upper Mount: S1, Lower Mount: ES25, Compressed: 11.52”, Extended: 18.66”, Travel: 7.14”)

Rear: H7041 (Upper Mount: ES25, Lower Mount: ES25, Compressed: 15.57”, Extended: 26.07”, Travel: 10.5”)

NITRO

Front: N8054 (Upper Mount: S1, Lower Mount: ES25, Compressed: 11.52”, Extended: 18.66”, Travel: 7.14”)

Rear: N8041 (Upper Mount: ES25, Lower Mount: ES25, Compressed: 15.57”, Extended: 26.07”, Travel: 10.5”)

MONOTUBE

Front: M9554 (Upper Mount: S1, Lower Mount: ES25, Compressed: 11.52”, Extended: 18.66”, Travel: 7.14”)

Rear: M9541 (Upper Mount: ES25, Lower Mount: ES25, Compressed: 15.57”, Extended: 26.07”, Travel: 10.5”)

Should I opt for the HYDRO, NITRO or MONOTUBE?

http://www.skyjacker.com/images/files/363_shocksandstabil.pdf

B) If I opted for RANCHO RS9000XL instead. Can I go for slightly longer shocks for the Front side:

Recommended: RS999214 (Upper Mount:S42, Lower Mount:LS23, Compressed: 10.340", Extended: 14.5", Travel: 4.16")

Alternative: RS999320 (Upper Mount:S42, Lower Mount:LS23, Compressed: 13.150", Extended: 20.36", Travel:7.21")

William

I've had the Rancho 9000xls RS999214 on previous Pathfinders, and on the current one I have and it's a good size becaues it doesn't reach full extension before the UCA's bottom out on the bump stops anyway. It will allow you for a bit more uptravel then the other ones you posted since its compressed size is 3 inches longer. It would be bottoming out before max uptravel I would think. The Rancho's are great quality, and if you wait a bit, and work on other mods, Rancho has great sales on all the time. When I got my set of 4, they gave me a $100 dollar rebate. Sometimes they run other deals like throwing the remote ride quality control unit in for free,($250) and things like that. In the end I paid $63.19 USD per shock thanks to that rebate and that was when the dollar was around 85 cents. Now granted I buy in the states and they ship for free to any state. I ship it to an american Address just over the bridge and go to pick stuff up myself so I save on shipping and duty but you can see what I mean. If you hold out you can get yourself some sweet deals.

Also for comparison The rears I purchased both times have been RS999112. I don't have the specs handy though.

Edited by Dowser