Shock Questions

statikuz

Hey, its about time for new shocks for the Pathy, so I'm looking at either Rancho or Bilstein. The PN's for RS5000 shocks are 5252/5214 front or 5118/5116 [longer] for the rear.

So, for instance, the 5116s are 24" extended, 14.875" compressed, with a travel of 9.125"

The closest Bilstein 5150 equivalent I could find would be a shock that's 25.91" extended, 15.89" compressed, with 10.02" travel.

Would this work? The entire shock is basically just a little bit bigger... any clues?

The other option would be a Bilstein 5125: 24.35" extended, 15.11" compressed, and 9.24" travel.

Has anyone heard good or bad things about either of these shocks? Any info about any of this stuff would be greatly appreciated... I know the Rancho shocks have been beat to death on this board but I didn't find much on Bilsteins. Thanks!

Yeah. =) That was the plan. Another questions... are the mounting points the same for all shocks... just an eye you put a bolt through? But otherwise, if the suspension was lifted these shocks would be alright, right?

Also, there's two kinds of shock with the same dimension and different valving, one is 170/60 and the other is 255/70. What's the difference?

On the Bilstein page: http://www.bilstein.com/html/applications/5150/index.htm , it just says eye/eye for the mounting points. But on the Rancho docs on their site, they have all sorts of different mounting types. Is there a thread on here that talks about shock mounting types [i couldn't find one], or could someone [88 =)] 'splain them all to me?

The 2 obvious ones would be a stud or ball type mount, where there is shaft for the shock and a nut to hold it on (maybe this is 2 types :shrug: ) and a bolt. If I remember right, at least for the rear my Pathy has a stud on the bottom and I think one on top too. Can't remember though, and its too cold out to check. :laugh:

Alrighty, from what I could deduce from the Rancho specs for the RS5252 and 5116 shocks, the front shocks have a stem mount on top and a bushing/sleeve mount on bottom, and the rear shocks have a bushing mount on both top and bottom. Since the Bilstein shocks only say eye/eye, I would guess they'd work for the rears, but what makes the Rancho shocks have such a specific mounting type, and how would I compensate for that with the Bilstein shocks?

http://www.gorancho.com/documents03/03_shock_specs.pdf

RS5252: Top: S33, Bottom: LS23

RS5116: Top: L1, Bottom: L1

Ok here is the scoop-

I have a stock height pathy, and I put the 5000's (the long ones, 5116? in anticipation of a lift soon.), on about 5000 miles and 2 wheeling trips ago. I have noticed the "whooshing" sound that 88 has written of, but I have not experienced any bottoming yet.

If the Bilsteins are listed only for eye-eye, they they definitely will not work for the front...go take a peek over the top of the front tires at the upper shock mount on your rig, and it will be clear why you must have a stem-type bracket.

On a final note, I am very pleased with the 5000s. The ride improvement over my blown stock adjustable shocks was worth the price of the shocks and more.

Yeah, I understand they definitely won't work on the front. =) Would running two different kinds of shocks be weird? For instance, if I went with the Bilsteins in back and Ranchos in front, would the ride be all whacked out?

I wouldn't think so (though, I know nothing about either the Bilsteins or the Rancho shocks) but I replaced my rear stock adjustable shocks when one broke, with Monroe's, and left the front alone, and my Pathy rides just fine. As far as I've heard, both the Bilsteins and the Ranchos ride stiffer than stock, so it shouldn't make too much difference. :shrug: