Build up your VG30E to get 160-170hp and have 20mpg!

Tungsten

I was getting 12.9 MPG city and 23.5 MPG highway (@60mph, if I do a little more it goes down like crazy)

With this MODS: 2+2 lift, 32x11.5x15 with 15x10 alloy rims (6kg each), roll cage, rock sliders, bumper, winch, custom made headers, hell, you name it..

I changed oil and started using Liquy Moly 10-40w + Mos2 aditive and swaped the automatic hubs for warn manuals

result: 15.2 MPG city and same 23.5 MPG highway

and there's no getting better (at least in my 95 2door VG30E pathy)

(everything measured considering the 12.8% less in the odometer, so it's kinda normal consumption)

Edited by Slashjt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

my point was that you can gain performance without losing out on fuel economy ;)

stock VG engines are also pretty good when it comes to mpgs (as long as nothing is broken anyway)

• 10 months later...

So the manual says the std type plugs in Cali are BKR6EY, and BKR5EY except Cali. I don't know why the different specs.

I'm not in California, I'm in Brazil, 50F-70F in Winter, 80F-95F in Summer. Euro spec cams in the engine. I don't know if it matters.

Could I use NGK Iridium BKR6EIX, or would be better BKR5EIX ?

So the manual says the std type plugs in Cali are BKR6EY, and BKR5EY except Cali. I don't know why the different specs.

I'm not in California, I'm in Brazil, 50F-70F in Winter, 80F-95F in Summer. Euro spec cams in the engine. I don't know if it matters.

Could I use NGK Iridium BKR6EIX, or would be better BKR5EIX ?

If you want something better than the V-powers, get the G-power plugs.

They go by the model# BKR6EGP

The plug will last longer because of their platinum tip. I wouldn't go with Iridiums just because changing your plugs more often keeps them from seizing in the head. Besides, the price range for G-powers is much nicer anyway. :)

If you REALLY want Iridium, the correct range is 6. The correct plugs are BKR6EIX.

ahhh...."winter" gas....right!

Winter gas will reduce your MPG by about 2 MPG.

Edited by Tungsten

• 6 months later...

According to the navara d21 service manual (Only manual I could find that had the vg30i engine) it says to use BCP5RES-11(Standard), BCP5RES-11(Hot) or BCP5RES-11(Cold). According to ngk the vg30i engine should be using the 5 heat range and the vg30e should use the 6 heat range. Is this because the vg30e makes slightly more power? If there are three choices for the vg30i engine what difference does it make on which plug i choose. Also it says that the vg30i uses the bcp plugs whereas the vg30e uses the bkr plugs. Both 14mm in thread diameter but it states that "The length from the plug gasket circuit to the terminal contact on parts using International standard (ISO) dimensions is 2.5mm shorter than the japanese standard (JIS) BCP type." Im guessing this means the jap engines have a longer plug? what difference does plug length make.

MPFI Pathfinders adjust the timing curve via the ECU off-idle. TBI Pathfinders do not. What you set it at is what it will remain at throughout the RPM range, and they also run a base timing of 12 degrees BTDC. You can advance the TBI timing to 15 degrees BTDC for some extra oomph and fuel mileage.

Timing belt interval for '98-'93 Pathfinders is 60,000 miles and 105,000 miles for '94-'95 Pathfinders. Do the cam seals while you're in there.

VG33 exhaust manifolds are also 10MM just like the Z31T studs.

this is wrong. the ignition has to advance as rpms increase or it would just fall on its face. the computer in vg30i's does advance timing.

• 2 weeks later...