Hello from Tejas!

stoneydude

Hi guys,

My name is Andrew. I hail from snowy Dallas and have been trying to go look at this '95 wd21 LE but this darn weather doesn't seem to be cooperating. I've printed off both pages of what to look for and made a checklist for when I go check it out. Here's a link to the ad,autotrader, tell me what you guys think. Also what are the major differences between the XE, SE, and LE trims. I've been lurking around here for a while and haven't seen anyone talk about the LE. Thanks.

I think LE had a wheel option other than steelies or legos, but basicly the wd21 "trim levels" were so mix and match the only real "true" difference is the decal. Basicly almost any option could have been checked off when new on any package. Plus by now how much someone beforehand "touched" the truck to make it fit them better. And welcome! (ain't loading the ad as I'm running mobile right now)

All I can say is find out when the timing belt was last serviced. If they don't know, add $700-900 to your costs for that job which should be done as soon as you purchase. MANY pathfinders have met their fate on that account.

Second, Don't just look at the frame to look for rust. These frames rust from the INSIDE out. Go to the rear rear wells, behind the wheel is an area that is know for rot more then any other. If none is visually there already, stick your finger in the little holes that are right there and feel around for the spongy rusting. If its spongy you can be certain you will be needing to do repairs if you want it to last.

Lastly Its an automatic so you will need to put in an aftermarket Transmission cooler and bypass the Factory one in the Radiator. If this is not something you can do on your own, add it to something you will need to pay for as soon as you take ownership. The stock unit is prone to clogging which leads to overheating and destroying the tranny. These are the 3 major things that end up with pathfinders in wrecking yards. Happy hunting and good luck.

Thanks for that tip on rust, I'll definitely check for that. From what the dealer says it is a one owner car, and just running the vin on the carfax on autotrader (without paying) it says there are 25 entries on the vin which says two things to me. One is that if it was a one owner car then a lot of maintenance was done at a dealership, and two if the carfax that they hand me has a different amount of entries then something smells fishy. This dealer is not located in the best of areas and a lot of the area is surrounded by pawn shops and strip clubs, causing my father and I to be wary to begin with. Thanks for ya'lls input. Does the anthricite looking finish on the wheels mean anything? Is that a special edition kinda thing for these? i think it looks pretty sweet with that dark cherry and charcoal rims. If the tranny doesn't have a bypass auto tranny cooler should I just walk away or see how it feels and make it my first mod? I just want this to be a dd and expo/camping vehicle by throwing on some treadwright 31" tires and maybe a lockright.

Oh and thanks to Mr.510 for sending me to this site from expeditionportal.com, this site has given me a lot of info on these vehicles.

Edited by stoneydude

Most likely the Transmission wont have a bypass cooler set up. It's not something that Nissan would have recommended at the dealership since the issue with the cooler inside the radiator works fine to cool the trans. Its the part where it clogs that is a concern. Most people just drive happily along until failure, then they find out the cost to replace their transmission is about the cost of buying another pathfinder so it heads to the scrap yard. Its just preventative maintenance. Many if not all on here will agree that it's a must for auto's. Theres quite a few write ups on adding inline filters and temperature gauges as well to keep an eye on things.

As for the wheels. Whoever owned it just painted them a charcoal color. Factory is a flat silver color.

the others have pretty well covered the important stuff, If it doesn't have the sun roof shade for it your going to want to get one at your local JY it does get hot inside with out one, or possibly some one here might have an extra one laying around.

Welcome aboard :wiggle:

Thanks, my dad and I went to go drive by the "dealership" today to go check it out. I say "dealership" because in reality it's a garage and they have the big metal fences that you can't see into kinda like an impound. The sight of it gave me and my father a uneasy feeling about the place. We couldn't see the car so I'll have to go by there when they are open. I'll definitely be going over it with a fine tooth comb. Here's the street view of it Cedar Auto Sales

Ah crap. Well they took that pathfinder off of their site so I'm assuming it got sold today, the day before I was going to see it. Back to square one I guess. If anyone has a wd21 pathy in good condition for sale in the DFW area let me know. Just another example of when I wait for a good thing, it gets swooped out from under me. :(

I flew to Florida and drove 23 hours home. It's my 3rd and I knew a lot more about what I was after. Find one in an area of the states that wont use salt on the roads during the winter months, or too close to the ocean as the salt in the air provides the same effect. Frame rot is the leading cause of Pathfinder death in Canada. Auto Tranny's and Timing belts as 2nd and 3rd as I mentioned earlier. If you want a Pathfinder, Truly want one, and to have it around for 10-15, maybe 20 years then do your homework and don't be in a rush. I searched craigslist and autotrader for 7 months before I found what I wanted.

*edit*

One last thing. Beware a seller claiming low miles. Check to verify that the Odometer is working because they have failed for some on here.

Good luck

Edited by Dowser