Door Ajar light, is there a sensor on the glass rear window?

WOT

I swapped gauge clusters today, mine had a cracked plastic piece and I found a replacement oem cluster for less than half of the price of a new plastic piece, and it was within 3k of my actual mileage, score.

Anyways I put it in and noticed the door open and seatbelt lights were on. I pulled these 2 bulbs out of my last cluster. I checked all the doors and rear hatch were shut and closed but the light was still on.

Went around to every door pushing in the "sprung door sensor" and the light never went out. The rear hatch itself didnt seem to have a sensor? I didnt see one around the exterior, then I thought maybe the back glass window might have one.

But ofcourse that wouldnt open, I do have some thick gasket under the glass to prevent rattle from my stereo so that made it really hard to SHUT, but I dont ever use it to open it so I dont know, either its way to cold out or its locked someway weird and my button wont open it.

Im just curious if there is a sensor back there or the light was only on the 4 sensors, or maybe even on under the hood?

That light has to go :dance:

Don't know if this will help, but on my 96, the door ajar light definitely works.... Alot of times I don't shut the rear hatch properly, and then I'm finding myself pulling of to the side of the road to reshut the door. I know what you mean, the light would drive me crazy! Not sure where the sensor is, but there definitely is one.

must be behind that glass because I took a hard look all the way around where the hatch itself seals to the body and seen nothing on either the hatch side or the body side

If the rear glass is not shut tight, the door light comes on, even when the rest of the doors are shut and locked. Tried this when I transported my table and had to open the rear glass in order to fit it in...

Edited by dududuckling

damnit!! Why wont my glas unlatch!!

I remember this happened last summer to, I had it locked and turned the key in the hatch one day and it popped open after not being able to open it forever. Ill go try every combination and button I can think of on it lol

The window is shut and latch, maybe my weather stripping is not letting it push the sensor down I guess, hoping its that sensor, would be nice to keep the bulb in this gauge cluster this time :coffee!:

EDIT: Well I got the window open, turns out you can do it from the rear hatch I just had to jiggle with it a little and push down on the window

BUT

I dont see a push sensor under the glass....

Could it be build right into the latch perhaps??

I wish it told you which door is thought was open to pinpoint this a little better, mind you all the other doors are shut so Im sure its the trunk or possibly the hood? I noticed a push pin under the hood, but Id imagine my hood has it closed...

Edited by WOT

but what mechanism tells the car is if a door is open back there, I dont see a sensor on either hatch or window in the rear

Maybe my stereo took another victim :thumbsdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Damn thing is still on!! How the hell to I find and prove what sensor it thinks is tripped??

Is there more of the damn things!!

I'll hunt the fsm again :scratchhead:

Hello all, this is my first time posting. I have used this forum for much needed info over the years, but this is the first time I feel I have something to contribute. The rear glass "door" sensor is indeed built into, or functions in concert with the latching mech. On my 98 R50, I had to transport something that needed to stick out the window. In order to keep the door ajar light off, I snapped the latch closed while the rear glass was open. To release the latch, I placed into the clasp (where the loop on the glass would normally be held when glass closed) a screwdriver (tool, not drink lol) applied slight upward tension while turning key to open glass. It popped back open. So long story short, if the sensor is suspect, then you might have to dig that latch out.

Oh, and also I want to point out that in my case, I could get the light to turn off even with nothing in the latch by closing it, so it might not have anything to do with how far the window loop pushes in, but perhaps the position of the latch itself.

Edited by clkindred

Ya I tried that aswell as I have my rear window pretty tight with thick weather stripping so my stereo doesnt shake it to death, and I closed the latch manually with the window open, light still didnt go off

Im having no luck finding any info on the sensors, or how many of them and there locations in the fsm, has anyone ever stumbled upon it?

Im also ASSUMING that when my doors are shut, the pin sensors are being depressed enough... maybe I should just tape them down... but I think I may be missing one or something, under the hood or maybe ever a wiring fault or something

Im ready to just pull the damn bulb

Idea on how to trick it? Mine looks pretty beat up, as my stereo puts a hurting on my hatch and I had the "hoop" thats bolted to the bottom sill pushed pretty far forward so it would shut TIGHT and not have any play in the door so it wouldnt vibrate...

Maybe I'll try pulling the hoop back towards the back of the car and see if it changes anything

Would be great to know atleast what sensor it thinks is popped

I would assume these sensors are just simple momentary switches, but dose anyone know if they are closed or open circuit when tripping the light? If the light comes on when the circuit is closed through the switch (continuity, and what I'm betting my lunch money on) then you could cut one of the wires for the switch to prevent current flowing through and triggering the light no matter what position the switch is in. Or, if the light comes on when continuity is lost through the switch, you could wire around the switch and bypass it to obtain the same result. I know this sounds kind of a bad idea taking the switch out of the system, it's there for a reason, but it seems like with your stereo an all, there might not be a solid solution less removing your weather stripping.

:shrug:

Ive got no problem wiring around the rear hatch switch if thats the sensor thats being tripped. Id just like to see the light go off so before doing any of that so Im sure its the hatch switch

I'll take a better look at the latch on the bottom of the hatch and see if I can trick it closed manually

• 2 weeks later...

No luck getting this light to go off

Can anyone specify in the fsm where it shows the trigger for the rear hatch being open?? Which wire colors.

I cant find any specific info on it in the FSM.

My rear hatch also has no power with the key fob right now, doesnt lock on its own when I lock all the other doors...