Part 1 restoration

vq35

Hey folks

It's been a while but some updates on my restoration on my 01 5spd SE.

This is where I am currently

2000a404.jpg

This is where it started

usncar046.jpg

Tons of these throughout body

usncar050.jpgM

DSC00007.jpg

Then the work begins on exterior

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

Fast forward then WHAM

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Was contemplating ALL Black front end but thought I would try this out as I have never seen it, opinions expected and welcome!!

Enjoy

More

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

New snow shuz, most current - rims to be blacked out once snow goes!

52760439.jpg

Then came engine tune consisting of

belts.jpg

pcvvalve.jpg

iridium.jpg

gaskets.jpg

filtr.jpg

Next is rear susp - ALL bushings complete nightmare so looking forward to 4x4 parts mixed in with OE bushings for more compliance - front end after that with oe strut mts etc

Currently sagging n generally ****** condition- lastly anyone done engine mounts on manual 4x4 ???? Any insight would be appreciated!

Wow thanx folks, the front grille will be the first to be all black, however the bumpers/flares I kinda like - my original intention was to get qx4 f/r bumpers and compliment them with 96-99 flares (alas the flares didn't lend themselves to painting so I had to ditch that idea) - and the stock fog lights were expensive so i settled for this -

Actually I saw a two tone trailblazer and that's wat triggered the choice! my main concern is mounts and bushings (including engine mounts) Maybe lowering springs and I will update when I put order through to 4x4 - REALLY wanna also explore the LSD upgrade mentioned in one of the posts-that would actually be mind blowing -

Anyone do engine mounts for a 5spd????

Those gaskets look familiar....

I like the paint job, it is bold - esp the grille. I think I prefer a single colour but looks way better than I might have imagined! It depends - of you value having an easily identifiable/unique two-tone I say leave it.

...k. :stickwack:

Other option which is more likely is to get just rear med-heavy duty 4x4 springs (which also give .5" lift) and just do the struts n mounts upfront as they seem ok for now.

man that's good man!

one question:

on the bumper scratches, did you paint the whole bumper or paint matched?

because mine has a lot of rust spots and i wanna fix them.

but don't wanna paint the whole truck.

That was an option for me initially but I ended up doing the whole thing. IF there was no rust and little dings, I would have just painted the bumpers n flares, and that alone would have been ok. But when the flares n bumpers came off, you see a lot of rust and accumulated dirt. It is better to deal with it at one time otherwise it would just get worse in a hurry. I wanted to also change the standard grayish oe color on the bumpers n flares. You can take them off (be sure to order OE clips/fasteners)-sand down/prep then paint the whole thing. Methinks blending the paint would be a good option also and would probably look better.

That was an option for me initially but I ended up doing the whole thing. IF there was no rust and little dings, I would have just painted the bumpers n flares, and that alone would have been ok. But when the flares n bumpers came off, you see a lot of rust and accumulated dirt. It is better to deal with it at one time otherwise it would just get worse in a hurry. I wanted to also change the standard grayish oe color on the bumpers n flares. You can take them off (be sure to order OE clips/fasteners)-sand down/prep then paint the whole thing. Methinks blending the paint would be a good option also and would probably look better.

thanks!

a few rust spots have started to pop out and i wanna fix them this summer.

i was hoping to match the paint instead of painting most of the truck.

and on the flares, mine started to peel off.