New Door Panel

NavyP503

This is my latest project and I've already been working on it a couple days. I bought a new stereo and speakers because the old one barely worked. I just went with a cheap Wally World deal, Pioneer deck and 4 speakers for under $100. Someone had previously run new speaker wire but didn't do the greatest job. I pulled the front seats and dash to better get at all the wiring.

img3401g.th.jpg

My drivers side door panel was in a pretty poor state. The backing board had ripped in a few places and most of the clips that hold the panel to the door had ripped out. I've been to the junkyards but haven't found a door panel in decent condition. So my project this weekend is to replace the backing board. I've already removed the plastic trim and cloth from the board.

005gsp.th.jpg

I'm going to pick up a new board today, and new clips. I'll update this post as to how well this works out.

I've been considering something similar by attaching the lower plastic assembly and arm rest to a sheet of aluminum.

No more stained upholstery no more soggy ripped paperboard.

TerranoNZ replaced his will aluminum, but I can't find the pics now.

I busted the upper platic part of the panel all up on my 88, so I removed it from the panel and reinstalled the panel on the door, I then took an outside bottom window seal and clipped it on the inside to steady the window. There is just exposed painted steel between the seal and the panel now. Tried to find a pic, but I don't have one.

The stereo install went great! It sounds a million times better then a messed up deck and two blown speakers. The door panel replacement however didn't turn out very well.

I laid the original panel over some hardboard and clamped it down. Using a drill and some files I matched all the holes on the hardboard to the original board.

img3404av.th.jpg

I used spray adhesive on both the board and the cloth sections and lined it up as best I could.

img3405il.th.jpg

The finished door panel looked ok, the cloth wasn't as stretched as I would have like it to have been and a lot of the little plastic pins that hold the plastics to the board were broken, either by me or were already missing.

img3406k.th.jpg

But when I tried to install it, I found that the cloth had shifted and now I couldn't get the curved section to fit on the door and line up the panel clips with the holes in the door. Also a lot of the panel clips didn't line up directly with the holes in the door. I was rushing a bit yesterday when I drilled out the board, trying to beat the snow. I have another piece of board I can try again with. Or as some have suggested I might look into just attaching the plastic to some aluminum. If anyone has pictures of that I'd be interested in seeing how it turned out.