Why Not Remove the Third-Row Seat?

ChuckSten

I have no use for the third-row seat in a 2011 Pathfinder S. After removing the seats, I could deck over the resulting hole with a piece of carpeted plywood. The cargo space that is created would be handy for storing tools, spare parts, tow straps, snow chains, first aid kit, etc.

Chuck Sten

San Diego, Calif.

They just fold down, dont they? You should have a almost flat floor at that point. Removing the seats would create a unlevel floor. Just put your plywood over the seats, folded down. Pop it out when you dont need it.

==========

Yes, the third-row 50/50 split bench seat folds flat and even to the floor. One of the beauties of the new Pathfinder is that the second and third row seats fold nice and flat to the floor, leaving a smooth, unobstructed surface about 6 feet in length, without significant gaps. That's a nice advantage over much of the competition. It's easy enough to leave the third-row seat folded up--does not hurting anything.

True, removing the third-row seat will create a depression in the floor. I propose to cover that depression, and thereby gain a new storage compartment for jumper cables and other items that I seldom use.

Chuck Sten

• 1 year later...

I don't see why a guy couldn't. I wonder if the backrest padding could be removed. The backs to those seats would make a sweet lid to the area you are trying to gain. Heck the hinges etc.. are already there.

I imagine those seats are not a big seller for the junk yards. Some sacrificial units could be picked up for possibly the cost of making something else.

Edited by GrandpaX