Rookie Move

iatom

So my dumb ass self pushed my rig into the shop in park today, some how think it was something to do with, the fact it was in and around the time for 420 lol.

Seeing how she isnt running, got no way of firing it up seeing if i broke anything. Before I bolt on some shiny new parts any chances i Bosched something up

Describe how far and how hard you pushed. Did you hear a ratcheting noise?? Did the wheels turn?

Once when I was in a hurry and incautious (new to auto trannys also) I went from Drive to Park (was shooting for Reverse) while rolling forward slowly. The truck made a horrible ratcheting noise until it stopped moving. Afterward drove/shifted fine... :shrug:

B

Yeah had the ol ford huffing and puffing pushing it about 10 feet into the shop while pattys trans was in park. Thought it was just the wall of snow making it hard to move i do believe the wheels may have made a few rotations and there was one noise but thought it was bumper on bumper action. Trans does still lock in park and drive, just never heard of something so dumb couldn't figure out what kinda damage i could have casued :crossedwires:

Describe how far and how hard you pushed. Did you hear a ratcheting noise?? Did the wheels turn?

Once when I was in a hurry and incautious (new to auto trannys also) I went from Drive to Park (was shooting for Reverse) while rolling forward slowly. The truck made a horrible ratcheting noise until it stopped moving. Afterward drove/shifted fine... :shrug:

B

That ratcheting noise was the parking pawl trying to engage the parking gear. The parking gear is basically a ring on the output shaft with a bunch of slots in it and the pawl is a rod that just goes into one of the slots to lock it. The pawl rod is spring loaded and rounded on the end to help it engage so as long as you aren't going to fast when you put it in park it will be ok. Also as long as it doesn't happen to engage a slot while rolling to fast. It could bend the pawl and jam it in the locked position or possibly crack the case. Usually it just makes the ratcheting noise.

James