Not a Pathfinder owner, yet

RedRider3141

I'm looking to replace my trusty stead (1993 Explorer Sport) and the Pathfinder is at the top of my list right now as a new vehicle. I'm just doing my due diligence and checking it out.

Right now I'm looking at 2001-2003 pathfinders, looking at a cherry '01 tomorrow, we'll see!

93 Explorer? you mean your rusty-not trusty! :rofl:

Nope, he means trusty lol.

Welcome to the site man, good luck with the search. Like B said, if you're patient enough there's plenty of nice rigs to be had.

Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up getting the '01 checked out by a shop, took it on a 2-3 test drive and got the dealer to drop the price a bit and took it home last night!

The Explorer has been great and surprisingly reliable. I've owned it for 8 years now and it has just rolled over 194K. By far the biggest repair/ expense has been suspension bushings and a new clutch. Not bad for an old Ford. That said I'm glad I just got an '01 Pathfinder and not an '01 Explorer.

A few things on my list already:

1) Front Skid plate (stocker is MIA)

2) New Acc. Drive Belts

3) A/C refrigerant recharge

4) Fog Light Bulbs

5) Rear Tonneau Cover (again, MIA)

I've already been searching a few posts on the drive belts, seems pretty easy to get to. Funny I think that was the very first thing I replace on my 'Splorer 8 years ago...

Welcome!

Why do you need to recharge your A/C refrigerant? My '01.5 (manufact. 10/00) is still blasting cold air and short of the blower motor resistor dying and needing replaced & changing out the in-cabin air filter, I don't think the A/C system itself has ever been serviced.

Edited by Towncivilian

Nope, he means trusty lol.

it was just a joke... finding a clean 1st gen (hell or 2nd gen for that matter) is non-existant here, they all rot. I know they can have good drivelines as long as they are at least somewhat cared for... :aok:

That said I'm glad I just got an '01 Pathfinder and not an '01 Explorer.

you mean you wouldnt wand a prone to kil lthe transmission 01 Explorer with no dipstick to even check the trans fluid? no sence of adventure...

your a/c leaked out or just need some extra freion shot in? if it still got 'some' a/c left I say just try jammign one of those cans of r134a in that you can get at a parts store with the line and all on it, if its empty though, get it vaccuumed down and some dye shot in it to find your leak...

i think there was someone here selling a r50 rear cargo area cover recently too... check the for sale section :aok:

Cool, but if you don't post pictures we won't believe you. :D

B

Congrats.

Where are the pics?

Man you guys are ruthless about the pics! I'll get some up this weekend, It seems I'm only home when its dark out so I haven't taken any pics. Here is a teaser Explorer Pic, back from when I used to wash it:

Tinkham%20June%202009%2030.JPG

Welcome!

Why do you need to recharge your A/C refrigerant? My '01.5 (manufact. 10/00) is still blasting cold air and short of the blower motor resistor dying and needing replaced & changing out the in-cabin air filter, I don't think the A/C system itself has ever been serviced.

your a/c leaked out or just need some extra freion shot in? if it still got 'some' a/c left I say just try jammign one of those cans of r134a in that you can get at a parts store with the line and all on it, if its empty though, get it vaccuumed down and some dye shot in it to find your leak...

i think there was someone here selling a r50 rear cargo area cover recently too... check the for sale section :aok:

The A/C pump isn't even turning on right now so I'm guessing it is leaked out and shut down. I had the same thing on my Ex' so I had the shop refill and ad the dye but after 4 years it still blows cold so I never bothered to have them look for the leak.

Good luck with your new R50!!! Around here it is hard to find any 10 year old vehicle without rust. :thumbsdown:

This one is pretty rust free, even the chain holding the spare looks good. I was pokin' my head around the rear end looking for trailer wiring and I decided to test the spare carrier, the spare rim is a little rusty but not too bad. I think the carfax said that it originally came from So. Cal.

The Badges and Paperwork say SE. If it has the LE rims this is the first I've known. :scratchhead:

What do the SE rims look like?

Nice!! Ok, now we'll talk to you again... :D

So it is an LE or just has the LE rims??

B

Well rims are easy to swap, probably the #1 mod, BUT I think I might have my years crossed as I'm not sure what the 01s came with... :shrug:

These are the stock rims on my wife's 99.0 R50 SE.

NewPathy026.jpg

B

Ha, your roof rack crossbars are flaking paint like mine were. Don't worry, they're aluminum and won't rust, but I decided to repaint mine for $17 (100 grit sandpaper, primer, and flat black enamel paint) and a friend's help. We missed a couple tiny spots when painting and there are a couple bubbles, but it looks a hell of a lot better than flaking paint! My rear one was flaking quite visibly like yours; my front, not so much, but I decided to repaint both in case the front decided to flake out.

Congratulations again!

Edited by Towncivilian

Ha, your roof rack crossbars are flaking paint like mine were. Don't worry, they're aluminum and won't rust, but I decided to repaint mine for $17 (100 grit sandpaper, primer, and flat black enamel paint) and a friend's help. We missed a couple tiny spots when painting and there are a couple bubbles, but it looks a hell of a lot better than flaking paint! My rear one was flaking quite visibly like yours; my front, not so much, but I decided to repaint both in case the front decided to flake out.

Congratulations again!

My cross bars are flaking a bit and one rail is flaking/rusting (apparently that part is steel). My plan is to remove the factory cross bars and swap my Yakima Rack over to the Pathfinder. When I do that I'm going to look at how much trouble it is to remove the rail and repaint it. I really don't want to create any leaks, it rains quite a bit here in the PNW.