Taillights stopped working!

BobLoblaw

Hey guys,

I have always had problems with my headlights. For the past year or so, only one of my daytime lights works, and when my high beams are on, only one light is an and there is a buzzing sound coming from the dash board.

About a week ago this all changed! My daytime lights stopped working altogether (which is not a big deal - I'd rather have none, than one), low beams are fine, high beams began working again (with no buzzing noise coming from the dash). Mysteriously though, I lost my dash board display lights completely and my taillights. Kind of a weird trade-off eh?

If my truck is running for a bit (20+ minutes), the dash lights will sometimes come back on. The taillights won't and that is my main concern. I can't legally drive at night without em! My guess is that the problem lies in my headlight switch but I could be wrong.

Questions: Do you think it is my headlight switch (If not, then what is it)? Does anyone have a spare headlight switch (are they expensive to buy brand new?)? Is there anything I can do to repair my current headlight switch?

Thank for your help

• 3 years later...

Bringing this one back from the morgue.... I just had the same symptoms (no dash lights and no running tail lights; brake lights work when you step on 'em) I did replace the ASCD/ Light switch with one from FleaBay last summer ( still have the old one though) but I was wondering whether it was the switch itself or the block on the column OR the DTRL module that is problematic?

I noted that the topic started is from "The Great White North" which cannot be anything other than Canada! My module (newly rewired, crimped with connectors) operated well for about a week and then started being beeotchy every so often and now I'm at this place.... both headlights high & low, 4-ways front and back, turns left and right, brake lights work but no running tail lights or dash lights?? Dash circuit board? Ideas??

The vast majority of problems related to lights that are controlled by the combination switch, is cause by the switch. Was the ebay one new? was it of any known brand that makes replacements? If it was new, are you 100% sure that it was new... this was bought on ebay after all :togo:

You mentioned still having the old one, have you tried taking it apart, cleaning and re-bending the contacts? I would do that (or do it again) and see if it works in place of the ebay one. If that solves the problem (likely temporary at best) then you have your answer.

I had the problem not long after I bought my truck and I did the clean and re-bend thing 2-3 times before I bought a new one. During that time I contemplated buying cheap and finally decided that the long life of original units was worth a little extra and I bought a Nissan switch. That was well over years ago and so far so good :aok:

Now I planned on doing the headlight relay mod soon after, but never got around to it/forgot all about it. But I would recommend that you do that as well.

*put relays on the shopping list

Aaahhh.... excellent! Thank you RedPath88....I was going to try the switch dis-mantle / rebuild but I was running two hours over my one-hour lunch. I shot brake cleaner ( to remove some oil ...???? htf does that get there??) on the switch contacts and patched around the Day-time running module then I had full control of the lights! YAAY!!

After burning out THE meter fuse, freaking out that I'd blown ALL the fusible links I patched in a 2 ga. wire from the battery to the links connectors (jeeeezzzzuz I am begging for trouble aren't I...) and drove home.... without my wallet. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the fusible links "patch" and put the original links back in.....

I thank you for your help with the link! Did anyone do a How-To on this yet? Anyone else interested in having one?