Hood Paint

Tosh

Well I'm sure it's a pretty common problem but the paint has faded to almost bare metal on my hood. The rest of the paint on the pathfinder would be fine with a good buff but the hood is killing it for me. I want to paint the hood (and only the hood, don't have time for the whole body) but will the "stock color" (forest green) match the rest of the body if you count in 17 years of paint fade?

If you've painted your hood, post up and give me your opinions. If it definitely won't match, I've thought of painting the hood a different color and trying to tie it in with the rest of the body somehow. Whatever I end up doing I will be doing it myself. I have a very nice paint sprayer so that's not a problem. I just don't have the money to have a shop do it.

Thanks!

Just buying a can of that "car color" or whatever it's called will be a shade off, some bodyshops though have a 'gun' they can put against your paint and be able to mix you up a batch to match it fade and all and put it in an aerosol kit. I'd check with a couple local shops or bodyshop supplies store. (and I don't mean the bondo isle at pep boys)

What nunya said. Most body shops will make you up a can or aerosol can, but if you have a spray gun then a regular can, of paint either by the paint code or that little machine that attaches to your car.

the paint straight out of the can def. will not match, that is why body shops will usually feather the paint into the good paint to try and blend it so it is less noticeable, but a body shop as mentioned would be able to mix up some paint that would bring it closer to what the 17 year old paint looks like, my hood was really bad also so much that it was rough in spots, I just pulled the hood, sanded it down and painted it flat black for now. The rest of my truck looked bad when I bought it but after doing the 3 step process using Mothers products (pre-cleaner, sealer/glaze, wax) it looks 100 % better.

Well after actually cleaning the pathfinder for the first time in forever, I noticed there were some more faded spots then I thought. I guess now ill either have to try to patch those spots or I might just get it done by a shop. I heard if you do all the prep work and bring it to maaco its actually alright.

For their economically challenged job, they don't do jams and if you want it wetsanded, your doein it. Otherwise it will be a giant orange peal affect (had a K-10 Chevy done last year at a maaco). Your gettin what you pay for but it will be 1 uniform color.