Need some insight

Guest soup_nazi

Guest soup_nazi

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I must say, I'm impressed. I used to go to automitveforums.com for all my needs, but getting answers outta anyone there is like pulling teeth. Everyone here seems to be very knowledgable.

Here's my dilemma:

I recently acquired a '95 XE and was extremely happy with it. However, just recently it started acting up. It idles beautifully, but when you put your foot on the brake, and pull it into drive, or reverse, and the rpm's drop, it runs really rough. Bring the rpm's up and it goes away. Also, when you're cruising along at hiway speeds, and the rpm's are constant (around 1500) the rough/vibration comes back. Decrease/Increase the rpm's, goes away. I've replace the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, EGR valve gasket, and BPT valve, but nothing seems to have helped. I took it to a local shop and no codes came up. Has ANYone else had this problem?

Guest soup_nazi

Also, has anyone ever had any problems with the stock fog lamp constantly burning out? Can't seem to keep bulbs in 'em for more than a week. Is it maybe a ventilation problem with the higher wattage bulbs?

LOL Soup. I have a 95XE, but manual so I cant help you there, but I have no prob with the fog lights (stock type bulbs). Maybe heat, maybe grounding, maybe voltage fluctuation ? Do you have a lot of accessories, are your alternator/battery contacts in good shape ? That sort of thing...

Bernard

Guest soup_nazi

No extra accessories, the connections seem to be okay at the bulbs, I recently replaced the battery and terminal clamps, and the alternator and cables are all nice and clean. Have you ever used 100W bulbs in there?

Firstly, check all your vaccuum lines for cracking or looseness. That sounds like a vaccuum leak to me. It could also possibly be an ignition-related issue. Maybe a single wire is loose, corroded, or not quite attached all the way?

On the fog light issue, if your wiring is sound, then the 100W bulbs are probably too hot for the housing they're installed in. Go back to 55's and see how long they last?

Most likely 88 is correct that it is a vacuum line. Remember that there are vacuum line all ove rhte engine and in places you may not see the first time you look.

If the vacuum lines are ok, then the next probable cause is ignition system. Suppression wires last only about 10,000 miles before they start to fail. Now most of the time you can get 30K or morre before you notice the problem. I refer to suppresion wires because most Pathy's run with these. Since you did not indicate that the problem goes away when the engine gets warm, it is not likely moisture in the cap, but check for corrosion in the cap and rotor. Do not replace these parts with cheap parts. This area is worth spending the money. Finding good wires can be a problem so ask around. I believe 88 runs Taylors which are good. I run Accel and I am not overly pleased with them. Remember if you want to listen to an AM radio then use suppression wires.

SO - Vacuum lines FIRST then ignition.

When you figure it out let us know

Guest soup_nazi

Never done vaccuum lines on a V6 before, is it something terribly difficult, or can I manage it myself? I don't wanna spend huge amounts of moolah on this thing just yet.

Guest soup_nazi

Did a quick check today on the fog lights. Bulbs are fine and there's power at the switch. Is there a relay that those things are wired to? And if so, does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for them?

Guest soup_nazi

Has anyone had any good/bad luck with dual exhaust on these V6's? I'm thinkin about doin it, as my current exhaust is starting to rot. If anyone has any suggestions about muffler style/pipe size, etc, let me know.

Did a quick check today on the fog lights.  Bulbs are fine and there's power at the switch.  Is there a relay that those things are wired to?  And if so, does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for them?

The relay should be on the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You should be able to trace the wiring back from the fogs and find it. My wires are encased in a black plastic thingamajoober running from the fogs, past the battery, aolng the fender to the relay on the firewall. I don't think I have a wiring diagram for them but I think the power is tapped in under the steering column (probably so they only come on with low beams)