Pathfinder VS QX4

FUELER

OK I have $13500 cash to spend.

Ive been looking at all sorts of SUVs but I like Pathfinders the most.

It seems im actually finding more QX4s than Pathfinders!!

And they have leather!

How are the 2 compared to eachother in terms of ride height, off road capability, reliability, etc.

They are pretty much the same, but QX4's are geared more toward the luxury crowd. They have a different front bumper, which looks better IMO, but may hurt approach angles slightly (not positive here, just speculating). The ride height should be the same, the size of each vehicle's tires will make the most difference there. Reliability should be the same, they have the same engine and mostly identical components. Off road capability...should also be the same (though QX4's may come with AWD? I know the newer ones do, not sure what year's you're looking at). Either way, you most likely wouldn't use AWD if you were really 4wheeling. :D

The QX4 and Pathfinder both perform outstandingly off-road. The bumpers on the Q sit a little lower than the Pathy, so approach/departure angle is sacrificed slightly. As far as performance/reliability, they are identical. With $13,500 to spend, you will probably be looking at used samples with the 3.3L engine. It isn't the most powerful motor out there, but it is very reliable and strong.

The Q is more of a luxury SUV and wasn't really designed with off-roading in mind, but the Pathfinder was. That said, there aren't many differences in the drivetrain or suspension. However, some models of QX4 have a full-time AWD or automatic 4wd. Personally, I don't like that feature, I much prefer a lever to pull.

As for the Pathfinder, they were available in 3 trim levels, XE, SE, and LE. XE being the basic model with very few creature comforts, AC, Power windows being about it. The SE added higher gearing and larger tires, along with optional leather and sunroof, and auto AC. The LE is the high end, fully loaded version, with sunroof, leather, power seats, Bose stereo, etc etc...

My recommendation to you:

If you do mostly on-road with a little bit of mild off-road driving, and are looking for more comfort than off-road capability, go with the Q.

If you do more off-road driving (at least once a month or more), and are willing to sacrifice some creature comforts for some off-road prowess (the Pathfinder has slightly better angles and GC than the Q), go with the Pathfinder. Plus, an Infiniti on the trail doesn't look right. hehe... :aok:

The QX4 and Pathfinder both perform outstandingly off-road. The bumpers on the Q sit a little lower than the Pathy, so approach/departure angle is sacrificed slightly. As far as performance/reliability, they are identical.

The Q is more of a luxury SUV and wasn't really designed with off-roading in mind, but the Pathfinder was. That said, there aren't many differences in the drivetrain or suspension. However, some models of QX4 have a full-time AWD or automatic 4wd. Personally, I don't like that feature, I much prefer a lever to pull.

As for the Pathfinder, they were available in 3 trim levels, XE, SE, and LE. XE being the basic model with very few creature comforts, AC, Power windows being about it. The SE added higher gearing and larger tires, along with optional leather and sunroof, and auto AC. The LE is the high end, fully loaded version, with sunroof, leather, power seats, Bose stereo, etc etc...

I guess in Canada the trim levels are a tad different.

Pathfider trim Levels

Chilkoot-Standard air,cruise,tilt,pw,pdl

SE-Everthing except leather and power seats

LE- Everything of the SE and Leather, powerseats,& heated seats.

Some years the fenders are a different colour in the QX4's.

But vengeful I did not know about the departure angles? I thought it was just the creature comforts that were different in the QX4's and Pathy's that is interesting.

Always learning -study-

Hey deej all the Canadian models have the LSD according to Nissan's 03Pathfinder Booklet. The only thing the Chilkoot does not have the VDC.

The only options are of the models that are offered Chilkoot,SE & LE models. You can't buy a Chilkoot and say I want the sunroof option as this was what I was told when I bought mine. You get whatever that particular model has.

vengeful the US models are different then the Canadian models I think you are allowed to pick options with your pathys. ;)

:beer:

• 3 weeks later...

I had an Infiniti Dealer tell me the QX4 has tighter tolerances in regards to steering and handling..

(I think he's full of it, but that is what he told me)