What was the reason the VQ35 wasn't put in the Xterra's?

iPath

When they decided to not put the VQ in it in the first place there was no need to design the frame to fit it. They didn't design the car, then figure out which engine would fit.

They didn't change the basic frame from the D-21 when they made the D-22, so there was no real frame redesign either way.

:scratchhead:

Maximas had DOHC from about 90 on. Pretty sure they used it in the I30s too.

You're right but it wasn't a VG-series engine. I'm referring solely to that series. If Nissan decided to put a DOHC VG in their top-end FR sports car, why not in their top-end SUV (be it the D21 or the R50, as the Z32 spanned both generations)

People who drive xterras dont deserve the privilege of driving a VQ powered vehicle....simple fact. They are just not cool enough :rolleyes:

:rofl:

Leave it to Andrew to have all the facts... :aok:

You're right but it wasn't a VG-series engine.

The VE engine is a 3.0 L V6 piston engine from Nissan. It is based on the Nissan VG engine and was only used for the '92, '93, and '94 model years. This engine has an iron block, aluminum cylinder heads with 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead camshafts, variable valve timing on the intake camshafts, coil on plug ignition, and an available variable intake manifold. (5spd only)

A major difference between the VE30DE and the VG30DE engine are the heads. The low underhood clearance on the 1992–1994 Nissan Maxima demanded a special head to be developed with 30°, rather than 46°, between the valves. Lack of space also demanded a redesigned camshaft drive system, so a special chain drive was developed. The engine is otherwise similar to the VG30DE.

Same block, new heads, I'd still classify it as a VG series :shrug:.

so Kyle in a Falcon (4 door) with a Super Bee style wing

You are likely thinking of the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird that had the crazy big wings...

http://images.pictur...bird-206842.jpg

However the Super Bee was uber cool, would love to have a '68

http://1.bp.blogspot...e+Super+Bee.jpg

Any engine has its issues, Xterra guys battle knock sensor problems and VQ owners with automatics deal with power valve screws. Both engines are pretty well proven. The VQ was on Wards Top 10 engines for about 10 years, that has to tell you something...

Edited by BowTied

:rofl: I was making an off-topic comment taking a jab at Kyles ricer ways if he were behind the wheel in the days of cars made of metal. Wasn't going for exact factual wording (though the correction is appreciated and taken with stride :aok: we all eff up with what we say and mean at times)

I know, sorry if it came off harsh, not my intention. Being a muscle car buff I get too caught up in the details, lol. BTW, I did enjoy the references, particularily the street freak graphics. Were you reading Car Craft in 1983 too? :D

Not harsh at all bud, I got the right vibe from it :beer: I got 0 problem with being corrected when I screw up, as long as it's good info (or funny!).

Dammit! I threw it off topic again!

actually 92 saw the VE30DE option which was a DOHC engine (in the SE Maximas, the GXE package having the VG30E) :aok:

That's what I've been trying to remember. A Car and Driver test of a 93 SE Maxima with an SE only available engine option that they said Nissan should have been using in all trim versions of the Maxima. I couldn't remember what they said the difference between the two engines was, and years later thought they might have put a VQ in the final year or years of that model Maxima. Now it makes sense what they were referring to.

I was driving this 92 NA 300 back then so although I read every Nissan car mag article I didn't pay that much attention unless it was something about the Z.

92300zx.jpg

Still wish I had kept this instead of trading it for one of the first 95 Maximas that hit the lot back in 95. But I did need more room back then, and the new Max made the CD ten best list that year mostly because of the VQ which also landed it on the Wards 10 best engines list.

Edited by dhardison

:scratchhead:

Maximas had DOHC from about 90 on. Pretty sure they used it in the I30s too.

Maximas never had a DOHC VG. They had a DOHC VE30DE from 92-94, and only in the SE models, the GXE models recived the VG30E until 1995, when all maximas received the VQ30DE. From 89-91, all Maximas ran a VG30E.

And the VE30DE had its fair share of problems, namley the VTC's going out, which left the car with VG power, as opposed to the 190hp it was supposed to have. I actually had to scrap my 1992 Maxima SE 5spd (my favorite out of the 5 maximas I have owned) due to a VTC problem causing the timing to jump and destroying my motor...

Maximas never had a DOHC VG. They had a DOHC VE30DE from 92-94, and only in the SE models, the GXE models recived the VG30E until 1995, when all maximas received the VQ30DE. From 89-91, all Maximas ran a VG30E.

What block does a "VE" use? If you are unsure read my other post above.

porpose of the VE heads was primaraly clearance what I get out of it... so a VE top end on a wd21 VG with a 3" BL... Imagine the clearance then! In all seriousness though, I wonder if there would be a benefit/use of it being uselfull if possible