Growl/groan from front drivers side wheel...wheel bearing? autohub? cv?

Eviltwin

Trying to figure out whats going on with my front end.

Getting a fairly audible "crunch/groan" noise thats inconsistent from the front drivers side wheel.

Audible "click" noise when I hit the brakes aswell...just 1 click.

The 'crunching/groan' noise is more evident in 4x4 as opposed to 2x4, and is not affected by turning, but sometimes when going over dips/bumps.

I fear it's a wheel bearing.

CV boots are intact, but I do get a faint odor of "grease/metal" when I stick my head under there.

it's fawkin' snowy and cold out now, and probably will need to bring it into a garage as I don't want to sit in the cold and freeze my cohones off.

any other thoughts what it could be?

was told otherwise could be autohub? CV?

Sounds kinda like what my one autohub decided to do today (minus the "over bump" clunk). Six Allen head bolts to pull it and there's a writeup for cleaning/regreesing them somewhere round here.

I would check your autohubs, tension rods, brake pads (one could be not sitting right and moving when you brake/reverse), wheel bearings and Cv axles (turn the tire all the way each way and you can see them easier).

Also the front crossmember bolts could need re torquing.

I have the wheel bearing locknut socket if you need to borrow it.

If it is groaning only in 4x4 (when hubs are locked) I would check your front differential fluid.

Edited by adamzan

it groans regardless if in 4x4 or 2x4.

Gonna have a shop give me a "estimate" so at least I know whats wrong with it, and i'll work on it myself.

CV boots look good crossmemmber bolts good.

Wheel bearing is my suspision..cheap parts! bitch to do.

if it's a hub...bah.$$$$$$$

Actually they're not that hard. The bearings hardly ever fail in these trucks, I changed my drivers side bearings thinking that was the issue but turns out it was the tires!

Anyways, all you have to do is drive out the races and drive the new ones in. Use the old races on top of the new ones to tap them in. I had never done it before in my life and it only took me 1.5 - 2 hours to do.

Make sure you replace the grease seal as well if you're doing bearings. I thought it was hard until a couple others on here explained to me in person what to do, it was real simple.

Edited by adamzan

Actually they're not that hard. The bearings hardly ever fail in these trucks, I changed my drivers side bearings thinking that was the issue but turns out it was the tires!

Anyways, all you have to do is drive out the races and drive the new ones in. Use the old races on top of the new ones to tap them in. I had never done it before in my life and it only took me 1.5 - 2 hours to do.

Make sure you replace the grease seal as well if you're doing bearings. I thought it was hard until a couple others on here explained to me in person what to do, it was real simple.

cool thanks:)

I just remember having to change bearings on my '87 E30 BMW and I wanted to punch things after a couple of hours of pure frustration. it's like I needed octopus tenticles to make it work lol

I'm actually dropping the truck off @ CT tomorrow to get an 'estimate' only to source out what the issue actually is.

once they source it, I'll do the work myself.

Keep u all posted!

just did my drivers side front wheel bearing.. was a biatch until i realized my damn hub siezed and had my cv axle engaged.. then came to find out brakes were somehow stuck to my rotor. wtf. i don't get itttt. so lost and i still have something of that original death rattle in cabin at 50-60 but as soon as i hit 70mph she's smooth. i don't get it.

probably should start my own thread for that one.. but bearings are not that hard. i did discover that the oil seal orielly gave me with my bearings n stuff did not.. and i mean at all, want to fit right so i just reinstalled the old one after stuffing new grease in there. it wasn't in terrible shape.

EDIT for actual usability - if it's your hub or they say it is, pull it and fill that sucker with brake cleaner for about (hell, my people told me a day) but i only waited with brakleen in it for about four hours off and on emptying it out and turning the innards then refilling ... i dunno how to test it but if it's bad... well, it won't spin right? :) if not, repack and bear in mind too much is almost enough and see if it helped. brake cleaner is about 3 bucks. hope ya have grease :P

Edited by synthetic