Death Valley

vmodi

Not on that coast nor do I have a r50 but is there a better feeling than knowing you have good protection for your vitals? Since you DO have a r50 also hit up fleurys here... people seem to be verry happy with his skids he makes :aok:

Skid plates never hurt. What kind of driving are you going to do?

Honestly, it isn't the area you are in, it is what you are trying to do. You can wipe out a skid plate with a poorly placed poodle!!

I removed the wife's plastic splash guard to change the oil filter on her 99 and never put it back on. If that is the one you mean VS an aftermarket one, for any off road it is a good investment.

B

Been there a few times. It depends what you do, as was said. If you stay near main road and only go off ways a little you'll be fine. One trip I went out of valley via backroad and thrashed my tranny pan. It was leaking [slowly thankfully] for next 200 miles home. Had to stop at gas station every 50 miles and tansfuse fresh transmission fluid to keep reservoir full. After that I got skid plates from front all the way back to drive shft - no problems on many trips since !

Good Luck

glenn

I plan on going on some side trips on dirt roads, mostly to Racetrack Playa and possibly Eureka Sand Dunes.

If you go from road to racetrack and then back to road you'll be fine.From racetrack out the back , over the mountain to Patamint side and highway is where I had trouble,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh my glad i live in WA. 7-8 hours to go 4x4'n? that's crazy. We have a state park that gives us access to a area that is actually too much for my pathy as it is :)after flooding my 94 and snapping the left front axle(not cv the axle!) and scraping paint with trees, and breaking the antenna. Wife has taken the pathy away till I promise to go slower.I have a metal skid plate for a 94, forgot to put it back on before i sold the rig.

Been there a few times. It depends what you do, as was said. If you stay near main road and only go off ways a little you'll be fine. One trip I went out of valley via backroad and thrashed my tranny pan. It was leaking [slowly thankfully] for next 200 miles home. Had to stop at gas station every 50 miles and tansfuse fresh transmission fluid to keep reservoir full. After that I got skid plates from front all the way back to drive shft - no problems on many trips since !

Good Luck

glenn

Pics please of your skids! And where did you get them fabbed up?