No Heat

PoochooTrain

I've owned this 89 pathfinder for the last 2 years, I love it except the heater has always sucked. It's come to the point where it just has enough heat to keep the frost off the windshield and the temp just above freezing. I had a new rad and T-stat put in when I hit a deer last year. Does that mean my heater core is cooked?

Before I got the new rad the fins were disintegrating to the touch, can I expect the same thing to have happened to the little heater core rad?

Assuming you have enough coolant in the system(purged of air with the bleeder screw) your heater core may just be clogged. Disconnect the heater core at the firewall, and use a garden hose to flush out the heater core. I got a sizeable amount of casting sand out. My heater worked quite a bit better afterwards.

Also, look here... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28607

Edited by RJSquirrel

I would think the heater core would be in much better shape than your old radiator because its sheilded forom the elements.

follow the link above to check on coolant levels.

Edited by MY1PATH

Something else to check. pull dash pocket out and take the ac/heater box clips off and look inside the condensor case to make sure its not stopped up with leaves and stuff. my ac was bearly blowing cold air and after it started running water in the floor i pulled it apart and sure enough it was almost completly plugged up with leaves and pine needles.also i don't know if your has one or not but if the engine temp gets up to normal but you still have no heat, look at the heater hoses and see if it has a water shut off valve in the lines. this valve shuts the hot water off to the heater core when the ac is run in the summer. either the valve could be stuck or the wire/cable broken.even if yours doesn't have ac it should still have one. if you pull the box apart and it's not plugged up pull the hoses off the heater core and use a garden hose to flush it out. don't have to turn the hose wide open but enough so you get pressure out the other line.

• 4 weeks later...

when I just replaced my thermostat and was refilling the coolant system, until I had the air flushed out really good the heat did not come out very hot at all, but once all the air was out the heat will burn your fingers now, you may want to follow the previous advice and make sure you have the system bled real good.