just noticed fluid on drivers front tire

IAPATHFINDER

hello, new to the forum. my pathfinder usually just sits in driveway, its my wifes winter ride.

today i noticed there was fluid on the tire. reached under to check out what it was, it smelled kinda oily.

could the cv boot be leaking?? or maybe just really dirty break fluid?? noticed it was a little low. asked the wife if the pedal felt funny and you can imagine the reply i got. "it doesn't feel like my convertible" which has 20000 miles and 11 years newer.

anybody ever seen this issue. i had it apart 2 years ago to replace ball joints and tie rods, but never leaked since then

truck has 165000 miles on it and has been rarely taken off road

any help is appreciated

where on the tire? Inside? was it on top and running down the tire? or did it look like it was splashed all over? If a CV boot ripped the grease can turn into a thinner liquid. Which tire Pass or drivers side?

where on the tire? Inside? was it on top and running down the tire? or did it look like it was splashed all over? If a CV boot ripped the grease can turn into a thinner liquid. Which tire Pass or drivers side?

it is on the inside and looked liked it only dripped while it was sitting

drivers side tire

i will take a pic tomorrow

thanks for the reply

Well on the driver side you have brake fluid and clutch reservoir if you have a manual trans that is.

its a auto trans, there was a small pool on the lip of the rim that felt and smelled like brake fluid, but what was on the tire smelled like oil or grease, its strange

looked dry around the master cylinder

Is the caliper covered in brake fluid? Pads?

it didnt look like it, but i will be pulling the wheel off today. was mostly contained to the bottom part of the tire where it contacts the pavement

it didnt look like it, but i will be pulling the wheel off today. was mostly contained to the bottom part of the tire where it contacts the pavement

Water dripping down, somewhat contaminated by running over the dirty truck?

Neighbor's cat??

Yeah, just pull the tire and take a look...

B

LOL

it was a bad seal on the caliper piston. the caliper was soaked w/brake fluid, what stumped me was the oily smell, but i think that was from over filling my upper ball joint w/grease. thanks for all the suggestions. these trucks are good ole trucks and im impressed at the reliability. this is the third nissan i have owned, 2 of the 3 were good vehicles

i will remember how helpful this forum is

Ok, I figured it was something hard to see with the tire on.

Did you rebuild or replace it?? Reason being, you want to clean and grease the slide pins too if you rebuilt it.

We try to help, sometimes it works... ;)

:beer:

B

isn't the power steering pump and reservoir on the pass side?

Steering box aint...

looks as though this problem got solved before i popped in so i will add my $.02 to the mix. Since you found it to be a caliper, I suggest making both sides on the same level (rebuild/replace both) brakes ain't something you wanna forget and regret...

Ok, I figured it was something hard to see with the tire on.

Did you rebuild or replace it?? Reason being, you want to clean and grease the slide pins too if you rebuilt it.

We try to help, sometimes it works... ;)

:beer:

B

I replaced it with the napa know how

Steering box aint...

looks as though this problem got solved before i popped in so i will add my $.02 to the mix. Since you found it to be a caliper, I suggest making both sides on the same level (rebuild/replace both) brakes ain't something you wanna forget and regret...

I never thought of this, but it does make sense. after all it does have 160k on it, we have owned since 120k, and the prev owner never said anything about changing it, when i go back to work i will ask him. good advice.

I never thought of this, but it does make sense. after all it does have 160k on it, we have owned since 120k, and the prev owner never said anything about changing it, when i go back to work i will ask him. good advice.

my 87 lost its seal and i put some lucas in it and it worked fine for about a year and then it just leaked like a siv