sfd backspace AAAHHH

qx4paulo

If using a 15" x 8" wheel would you still use 3.75" BS? I want to keep my same wheels (if possible) & 2" AC Springs + 4" SFD so it would be Approx 6" lift, what would be a better tire fit 33" or 35" x 12.5????

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

If using a 15" x 8" wheel would you still use 3.75" BS? I want to keep my same wheels (if possible) & AC Springs so it would be Approx 6" lift, what would be a better tire fit 33" or 35" x 12.5???? Or can you even fit a 35" on a 15" tire?

I dont have a SFD (YET) but this is what ill say bout wheels/tires....I have 15" w/ 4.25" bs. I put on OME 1.75" coils..and got a set of almost new 80-85% tread 31x 10.5" Roughrider M/S. This B/S works JUST FINE. I dont think you could get a bigger tire on though, as there is only an inch or so of space between the edge of the tire and the bottom of the spring perch on the strut (straight up from, inner edge of tire) Also...with my 4.25" b/s there isnt enuff room for a wider tire as there is only 1-2" of space between tire/rim and inner shaft of strut tower. ( i dont want wider tires than 10-11" anyways)

Now...about spacers or lower B/S...you can use either to "push" your tire/wheels out to fit bigger/wider tires...BUT...the more you move out/wider...the less clearance youll have to your outer fenders/flares. You might need to get out the BFH and grinder. With my 4.25" b/s right now...under full flex/compression (like when tire squished and tucked up in fender) i think that if they were pushed out any more than a inch more than theyd hit my current stock fenders/flares!!! And thats only 10.5" wide tires.

Ill look for a couple pics...(just wiped puter recently)

Tye

P.S. Even with the SFD all the same clearance issues apply except for the fender is higher up.

46778424891325895561860.jpg

not the exact one i was looking for...but shows there isnt much room...i had one taken along the side of the truck to show it almost hits the flare but no findy!!!!

P.S. Thats my son Kieran and my daughter Devynn.

Edited by Hawzzy

i wouldnt do 4" backspacing cause people with 3.75 have said this was the absolute max backspacing you should run because even with that it is close to the strut. but if you are running a 285/75 which i think is a 11.5 wide tire...you should be more than good with a 16x8 with 3.75 backspacing.

Well its up to you. you can run anything up to 12.5 wide. Just depends if you wanna go with a 33 or a 35 inch tire. I would stick to 33 considering the stress you're putting on a lot of things by running 35's. You might read that you need an 8.5-11" rim for a 12.5" wide tire, but if you properly run the right air pressure you will not have any issues with irregular wear patterns. IMO, 33x12.5 with 3.75 backspacing on your 15x8 will look great with the AC lift and the SFD. I am doing 33x12.5 as well, just with a 16inch rim. hope this helps!

Edited by exit34rocker1017

Well, I might not be any help right now, but I may know a lot more in a couple days. I plan to test fit my 285/75/16 GY Duratracs (8.9" treadwidth/11.4" section width) this weekend. My only concern is that my 3.75" BS (16x8 ProComp Crawlers) won't be enough to clear the strut/spring perch with the new height/width tire.

I've pre-measured the unmounted width of the new tire compared to the 265/70/16 BFG AT (8.7" tread width/10.6" section width) and I'm NOT convinced I won't have a rubbing issue. Based on my tire/clearance measurements, it's gonna be gosh-darn close.

I just want to see for my own two eyes with the tire on the rim and the rim on the rig before I throw on wheel spacers.

BTW - I do have 1" bolt on wheel adapters for the front only - I just wasn't sure I'd want them in the back for tucking reasons.

If I go in this weekend for the fitment, I'll post up the answer with some photos.

damn... i cant fit 15's on my truck and its near impossible to find 16's with 3.75

"THE BOOK" said that 15" steelies fit on my 2001...got them on clearance @ Canadian Tire for $23.00 each. But they "rubbed" on the calipers pretty bad and i had to get out the grinder. Now i have to put on new pads...ill have to grind more caliper...or get spacers!!!!!

Tye

I have 3.5" SFD and OME coils and run 33x12.5 on 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing. Works perfect.

That's what I want to hear! So do you think a total of 6" of lift will make a difference using 33 x 12.5 x 15's ..... More lift should help with fender clearance?? Yes? I also plan to put a KMA Winch Bumper as well should add plenty of weight up front.

That's what I want to hear! So do you think a total of 6" of lift will make a difference using 33 x 12.5 x 15's ..... More lift should help with fender clearance?? Yes? I also plan to put a KMA Winch Bumper as well should add plenty of weight up front.

Yeah, it'll work the same. I had to do some cutting on my fender flares for the tires not to rub, and also had to cut some of the front bumper and fender up front. You might fit a bit better with the extra height, but you'll probably still need to trim the flares a bit. With 3.75" back spacing the 33"x12.5" tires tuck nicely into the rear wheel well.

Well, the 33's are on and without spacers (16's with 3.75" bs). I'll post more about it later.

2010-11-20_16-24-35_480.jpg

Had to feed the kidlets, so now I'm back...

I had a shop test fit one rim/tire on the front passenger side and it had just under 1/2" clearance from the strut/coil perch. Both have about that same clearance (the driver's side is just a tad closer/less room). I'm almost positive that if I were to air-down and do some serious wheeling right now that the tires would flex enough to touch the perch. I'm not worried about that right now, but it's something to consider. I'm leaving the spacers off for now cause I love the look. I'll take some photos in the daylight tomorrow and try to get a pic of the tire/strut also.

All-in-all, I'd say that today's experiment was a success!

Edited by Rick13

Well, the 33's are on and without spacers (16's with 3.75" bs). I'll post more about it later.

2010-11-20_16-24-35_480.jpg

Had to feed the kidlets, so now I'm back...

I had a shop test fit one rim/tire on the front passenger side and it had just under 1/2" clearance from the strut/coil perch. Both have about that same clearance (the driver's side is just a tad closer/less room). I'm almost positive that if I were to air-down and do some serious wheeling right now that the tires would flex enough to touch the perch. I'm not worried about that right now, but it's something to consider. I'm leaving the spacers off for now cause I love the look. I'll take some photos in the daylight tomorrow and try to get a pic of the tire/strut also.

All-in-all, I'd say that today's experiment was a success!

Im drooling upon myself presently...i love it im asking for one for Christmas...SFD...SFD...SFD...sayit witme..SFD...SFD...SFD

looks killer man.

Tye

Thanks you guys, it's half way to where I want it to be.

Here is what the tires look like next to the strut coil perch...I think this is good news for those with similar rims/bs and want to run a similar sized tire.

Passenger Side:

2010-11-21_13-31-37_543.jpg

Upon measuring with an actual tape measure, they are identically spaced on both sides (apparently my finger isn't the best measuring device).

Swear that I'll take better photos tomorrow when the beast goes to work with me, but here is another but with the sun out this time:

2010-11-21_15-00-06_527.jpg

Yep. I sit at 40" front and 37.5" rear. I plan to take some better measurements soon at my front IFS cross member, center diff cross member, gas tank skid, rear axle, and rear diff. These are measurements I took after my 2" lift with 31's. Just going to see the difference thus far...